• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter fattening (stupid title but nothing else comes to mind)

No. But I do have to adjust their feed slightly so that the don't lose weight as mine seem to burn a lot of calories keeping warm.

Good question for outdoor buns :D - so what would you give them more of - hay or pellets?
If it was horses then I'd be increasing hay and fibre, but i'm guessing that buns probably eat as much hay as they can anyway.

I don't give them more or anything, I actually change pellets to one with a higher protein content as per advise from my old vet. It seems to of worked and as I am not adjusting the number of pellets their hay consumption isn't effected. I feed A&P naturals in the warmer months and A&P breeder grower in the colder months.

That title made me giggle.

I did give outdoor buns more feed in the winter as they'll burn more calories keeping warm. Indoor buns are stuck with their meagre rations.

I found that even if I kept their diet the same, they gained weight over winter. I suspect their metabolism adjusts and maybe slows down to try and make sure they have enough energy to keep warm. I also think they are less active. Saying that, on colder days I do give them more pellets, but I don't give it to them in the run up to it because I don't feel mine need it.

I've found that i've been subconsiously feeding more and it occoured to me that I was "fattening" them up :lol: I like the idea of the breeder grower pellets though i'll look out or them.

Coineanach - How is Velvet doing?

I think my problem is that A&P naturals has a low protein content in comparisons to some of the other brands and its just not enough for some of my bunnies.

Coineanach - How is Velvet doing?

Thank you for asking :wave: She's being a brat and chewing everything in sight. She's doing well, enjoying her new house. :D

We've started clicker training and she's showing her clever streak again. I'll post an update when I have some pictures as if I put one up before then I'll be hounded for them :lol:

I don't mind mine laying on a little extra podge for the winter, but not too much.
They tend to gain a bit during autumn anyway as they have less free range time due to the increasing amount of rain we usually get, but they burn extra keeping warm through winter

My bun becomes a lot less active in winter, and tends to gain a bit of weight. He has unlimited hay anyway, and any greens I can still get in winter as well as chew sticks and his usual pellets. He likes playing in the snow, but if its just rain he sits in the corner in a grump :lol:

Thank you for asking :wave: She's being a brat and chewing everything in sight. She's doing well, enjoying her new house. :D

We've started clicker training and she's showing her clever streak again. I'll post an update when I have some pictures as if I put one up before then I'll be hounded for them :lol:

I look forward to it :D

Back