• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Medicine best before date help?

Pie

Warren Veteran
As some of you know Im moving back abroad for 6 months in 1 weeks time and was having a clear out of Pie's things. I have found some medicine from when she had stasis and wondered if they would still be good?
I have:
- 1 Unopened 20g bag of Recovery (like critical care) best before date 19/01/2011
- 2 opened but security capped small bottles of Baytril 2.5% and Zantac (they are dated for use on the 02/01/2010) but have no best before date
- 1 opened but capped and cleaned 15ml tube of Fibreplex best before date 11/2011 (also dated for use on the 02/01/10)
- 1 used but cleaned 2ml syringe (used for the Baytril)
- 1 used but cleaned 1ml syringe (used for the Zantac)

i know that metacam only has a 6 month shelf life once opened so i assume that all meds would be the same maybe even less shelf life. id bin the old stuff and request new stuff from the vets :wave::wave:

syringes and unopened stuff i would keep

it really smarts that i have to throw away a hardly used bottle of metacam after 6 months GRRR

Yea I know. Esepcially since Pie is prone to having a bad tummy alot, not stasis but it gets abit dicky sometimes y'know.
Thanks a bunch :wave:

Yea I know. Esepcially since Pie is prone to having a bad tummy alot, not stasis but it gets abit dicky sometimes y'know.
Thanks a bunch :wave:

my vet never questions the repeat even if its not getting used. ask for an unopened bottle then itll last for a few years if not opened :D and all the better if it never gets opened huh

Well obviously the recovery will be fine, it's still in date. ;)

Chuck the Baytril, it goes weird and lumpy after a few weeks, especially if it's not in the fridge.

The syringes will be fine if they've been cleaned properly.

I don't know about the other things but would be tempted to chuck them to be on the safe side.

Back