• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Entertainment for Bunnies

Hi - this will be my first winter with bunnies. We have a 6x4 shed, a 6x4 attached run on concrete, a 7x4 wire run for when I'm home but not closely supervising, and the run of half the garden if we're supervising. So .. in spring,summer and good days in autumn I think they get plenty to do and variety. But I'm worried about winter - it's pouring here today and they dont want to go outside in the run - I want to think of ways to stop them getting bored. Clover is easy - she loves boxes, chomping hay all day and chucking things about. The other, Bramble, is trickier - she likes being on the grass but not much of a hay fan ( she has readigrass too), not much of a digger in cardboard boxes and not one for toys so far. What she loves is a good big hawthorn branch ( have cut a few more today for her !) - it's the leaves she likes , won't chew leafless sticks or branches - so in winter when the leaves are gone I'm going to be stuck for entertainment ideas !
Any inspiration ?:idea:

you could grow her some grass? make them a digging box umm ooh dry some leaves so you have them left in winter :wave:

This is something I've been wondering about too. A digging box should be at least the size of a litter tray. My rabbit, Spenser, only uses his litter tray as a digging box. I think I've seen an article on winter amusement for bunnies in one my RWA mags, so I'll post again if I can dig it out. :wave:

I wondered if there are any evergreen trees that I can chop branches off through the winter- its the whole tearing the leaves off the branch and reaching up for it if I suspend it from higher up that Bramble seems to like doing. So although I'll try and dry some leaves I think they'll lose the entertainment value for her without being on a bit of tree !
Anyone know of evergreen shrubs or trees that are ok for bunnies ?

Back