• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To Neuter or not to Neuter?

PixieRabbit

Mama Doe
Spencer came to use via a friend, he had a heart attack last year, his hind legs are still a little slow but otherwise he is of perfect health. I've never had a bunny as old as him going in for a neuter, but I'd love to see him and Storm bonded for Christmas and the new hutch we're building.
So have any of you lot had a boy rabbit neutered even though he's had a heart attack in the past?
My vet seems confident that he'll be okay.

How old is he ?
Has he had any blood work done to check major organ function ?
Any other diagnostics for his hind leg weakness ?

How was the 'heart attack' diagnosed ?

How old is he ?
Has he had any blood work done to check major organ function ?
Any other diagnostics for his hind leg weakness ?

How was the 'heart attack' diagnosed ?

He's three, but Im going to vets in 50 mins I'll ask if they'll do blood work, and no other than my friend had left him to his sister for about two months whilst he went down south and the poor bun had not been let out once and the hutch he was in isn't very high, deep or big in general. Since moving in here he has improved greatly.

I've never had a rabbit survive a heart attack, but I thought Spencer had had a stroke? It's odd that both hind legs are weak though, as CVA's usually only affect one side of the body. I'm sure given his history, your vet would run pre op bloods on him, to see if anything else is going on.

I'm sorry, I got confused I thought a heart attack and a stroke were the same thing. :oops:
I think his hind legs are weak due to weak muscles as mentioned his legs have gotten much stronger since the short time he's been here.

Back