• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hyperallegenic Bedding for a delicate bun nose?

Tempest

Warren Scout
Cherry has been sneezing and having clear discharge coming from her nose for about 2 weeks.

I took her to the vet as soon as I saw the discharge (2 weeks ago) and she was given a course of baytril, just in case, though the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her. they listened to her heart, breathing, took her temperature etc. She was given a through check over. The vet said it could be the bedding being a bit dusty.

She had her baytril and it hasn't helped. Luckliy she was due her myxi jab the day after the course finished (last wednesday) and she saw another vet, which said it could be a virus that just has to work its way out.

Well just in case I changed the buns bedding to a low dust hay for eating and in their bedroom, and just newspaper laid on the bottom of the hutch. Well this actually seem to help, I had noticed an improvement. Although there was still some sneezing and some discharge when she'd been in the bedroom or stuck her head into the middle of their hay pile.

Well today I noticed alot more discharge when I fed her, I know it was caused by the hay some was from the bottom of the bag - where its always a quite dusty, but I didn't have anything else at the time.

Well thats the background info. Does anyone have any bedding suggestions that will be gentle on Cherry's sensitive little nose? Its not affected her in herself at all, she's pooping and eating with enthusiam. She binkies alot, tries to hump her sister every so often. Has recently decided that she owns both my feet and gotten into the habit of chewing me. So I'm sure it must be the bedding, since changing it improved her nose a bit.

The problem is, Cherry and her sister Maple are mini rexes, so they really need to be on something soft on their feet rather than just newspaper. Can anyone help? I really hate the fact she must be uncomfortable with this running nose even though she's not showing it.

I would be surprised if the discharge and sneezing was caused by dust alone. To me it would seem far more likely that there was an underlying pathology (respiratory infection) which has hypersensitised the airways and made bun more susceptible to aggravation by dust and other allergens.
You could consider asking your vet to consult with an exotics referral service for advice on trying an antihistamine if the antibiotics still fail to have any effect - just to see if there is a clear histamine response going on.

Are your buns indoors or out? If indoors or under shelter/in a shed, I would consider scrapping all hay bedding and using just towels/blankets and veterinary bedding which is very giving underfoot. You can layer up the vet bed with a towel underneath for extra absorbency and a blanket or pillow case on top to give a smoother surface if you prefer, this will be ideal for Rex feet and Cherry's delicate bunny nose at the same time. This might still be possible outdoors but you will need to provide more wind protection as obviously bun can only sit on top of blankets and not snuggle down into them.

was a nasal swab taken to rule out pasturella?

berties a sneezer..left over pasturella...had to stop using russell rabbit bedding on top of the bio catolet in his litter tray.

dust affects him..his moulting fur..merlins moulting fur...zuzus fur.....talcum powder.....mum visiting wearing hairspray or perfume.

the worst offender is the hay dust..i buy hay from the dust free hay company but theres still dust. the bunny pellets are dusty enough to trigger sneezes as is pollen..now its weed pollens:roll:

bertie gets a course of piriton when hes bad as well as baytril..ask the vet.

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, internet issues :roll:

To be honest I don't know if a nasal swap was taken, as I couldn't take them to a vet and had to get my parents take them for me. They didn't mention it though. So I'll assume that one wasn't done.

I will update you though, after changing to another kind of hay - the sneezing and discharge has stopped apart from the odd sneeze when I stick new hay in straight from the bag. :?

However I'm keeping a close eye on her. First sign that its starting again I'm going to insist on a swap. But as the change in hay has cured it, I think that must have been the cause :)

I'll look up those Finacard squares too though :)

my two used to sneeze over bedding etc... they did because they were already starting with a respiratory infection..

the nasal swab is done under ga, as it's taken from deep in the nose.

i say this alot on here, but please make sure you go to a rabbit vet (incase you don't already) i made the mistake of not and bisc and matt were just given baytril. they never improved and it's been a long battle since. respiratory problems seem to take hold quick and the infection builds up in the spores of the nose.. hence a week of baytril won't help in the long term, in the short term yes, but if it flares up again then don't let them just fob you off with baytril again and again... a rabbit vet won't do this though... i know mine doesn't use baytril often but when he does he starts with a six week course at the very beginning signs of a respiratory problem, they just get bad so fast, and difficult to treat...

bisc and matt still binky, eat well, drink well, everything, except now we are never going to get rid of the infection completely, and the battle to make them stable has been long..

but i hope you are right and it is just the hay causing it.. but just thought i would share our story just so you know... aidan is our rabbit vet and he is amazing... they are a must!! :)

Back