• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for stubborn inner ear infection?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Parsley has a smelly ear full of cream cheese.

He has had it tested about 3 weeks ago and it should have been sensitive to Baytril and Septrin but neither seem to have had any effect.

On Weds he is having it flushed under sedation and an x-ray taken and a sample from further down in the ear.

We think the ear infection has been the cause of the paralysis of the side of his face (although that happened some time ago and it may have been due to a bite - as he has lots of facial and ear scars).

Has anyone had successful treatment of a deep seated inner ear infection?and if so what did they use?

PS we also tried drops but it just irritated him and he cannot scratch out the ear properly due to wonky leg.

I'm using Zithromax for Dominic at the moment, and have been very happy with his progress. There is virtually no discharge at this point (abt 5 weeks into treatment), and no smell at all.

I have heard of baytril and metronidazole being used in combination for ear infections - a combo that I've heard the Bristol rabbit clinic use a lot :) Metronidazole zaps anaerobes so is good for any deep-rooted bacteria right in the heart of an abscess where there is no oxygen, and baytril is more broad spectrum but not as deeply penetrating. Septrin is inactivated by the presence of pus so I wouldn't have thought it was the obvious choice for a very pussy abscess but I guess it was worth a try if the C&S suggested it.

Penicillin (injectable) is another one often used for abscesses as it is pretty broad spectrum among a range of gram negative (or is it positive, I can't remember) bacteria.

I'm personally a big fan of metronidazole for abscesses as it seems to get right into deep problems and it also kills clostridia which creates the main toxin worry in GI disturbances with antibiotics!

I have heard of baytril and metronidazole being used in combination for ear infections - a combo that I've heard the Bristol rabbit clinic use a lot :) Metronidazole zaps anaerobes so is good for any deep-rooted bacteria right in the heart of an abscess where there is no oxygen, and baytril is more broad spectrum but not as deeply penetrating. Septrin is inactivated by the presence of pus so I wouldn't have thought it was the obvious choice for a very pussy abscess but I guess it was worth a try if the C&S suggested it.

Penicillin (injectable) is another one often used for abscesses as it is pretty broad spectrum among a range of gram negative (or is it positive, I can't remember) bacteria.

I'm personally a big fan of metronidazole for abscesses as it seems to get right into deep problems and it also kills clostridia which creates the main toxin worry in GI disturbances with antibiotics!

yes we've used metronidozol/zithromax in the past for jaw infection very succesfully - will ask about the combination on wEDS! Thanks for reminding me about them!!

thanks everyone - sounds like a thumbs up for metronidozol -

How could I have forgotten Morse's struggle with his ear??:oops::oops:

Is it all better now Jane??

thanks everyone - sounds like a thumbs up for metronidozol -

How could I have forgotten Morse's struggle with his ear??:oops::oops:

Is it all better now Jane??

He still gets an occasional flare up as he has a 'deformity' in his ear canal.
Short of radical surgery, which I would not put him through, the problem is unlikely to resolve 100% and for ever.

It is in his outer ear, thus far his middle/inner ear has not been effected so no headtilt etc xx

Back