• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold ears?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
When I went outside to feed the rabbits this morning I noticed that Peter had very cold ears. However, Jess & Chlo didn't. :?

Could there be a reason for this? He had his last dental 12 days ago but didn't go back outside until about 7 days after the op.

Thanks

Tanya.

I have just been out to feed Peter and he didn't want his pellets, grass or carrot. I did manage to get him to eat a couple of yoghurt treats and a few apple leaves. I gave him a branch with some more apple leaves on.

Could this be linked with his cold ears?! His ears didn't feel as cold as this evening. :?

He has finished his medication.

The vet gave me extra painkiller and gut stimulant when we went for our post op check up and said to continue with it if Peter didn't start eating and toileting. However, he started eating and pooping lots before I finished the first bottle. So, I continued the medication until we finished the first bottle and he continued to poop and eat.

He seems very alert tonight - he jumped out of the door of his cage when he saw the treats I had (yoghurt drops). He also darted up the ramp when he heard me fussing the girls!!

mmmm- would def. keep an eye out for any more lack of appetite...:?

Indiana has very cold ears the other night & Arrabella didnt - i was bait worried...but they were both eating & I got them running around to warm them up -seemed to work but Indiana is abit skinny compared to Arrabella - thought perhaps it was that.

Hope buns ok now...:?

Sometimes a bunny will have cold ears I check they're still got an appetite and if they do I go heat up the snuggle safe heat pad and give them extra hay. If the other bunnies aren't that cold then maybe it's something to do with a slight illness or if he has been indoors he could have moulted slightly adjusting.

Buns are a bit like horses in that their metabolism and heat production is dependent on them eating, hence they eat pretty continuously. Whilst cold ears may just be a sign that bun is not too hot and therefore not 'dumping' excess heat, it may also be a sign that bun is slightly hypothermic especially if appetite is diminished or bun is poorly and not eating at all. I agree with Jane and would bring bunny (and any companions) indoors until bun is eating and feeling better. :)

Back