• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for myxi?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
This is purely curiosity - I don't have a bun with myxi myself (touch wood!)

I was wondering what the treatment for nodular myxi actually is? Can the vets do anything or is it just "wait and see"?

I keep seeing people mention antibiotics....but surely myxi is a virus.....and antibiotics aren't effective on viruses. :?

I'm not sure either - I'm waiting on biopsy results from one of my rabbits that may possibly have nodular myxi.

I *think* that actually, there's no 'cure' and you just have to ride it out with pain relief (Metacam or similar) and the anti-biotics are to combat secondary infection as the myxi virus lowers the immune system.

I might be totally wrong of course! :oops::lol:

I'm not sure either - I'm waiting on biopsy results from one of my rabbits that may possibly have nodular myxi.

I *think* that actually, there's no 'cure' and you just have to ride it out with pain relief (Metacam or similar) and the anti-biotics are to combat secondary infection as the myxi virus lowers the immune system.

I might be totally wrong of course! :oops::lol:

Ah that makes sense :)

Is that Cloud, who had the lump on her nose....sorry I get confused as there are so many threads :oops::oops: if so it's good that they're doing a biopsy, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious :D

Ah that makes sense :)

Is that Cloud, who had the lump on her nose....sorry I get confused as there are so many threads :oops::oops: if so it's good that they're doing a biopsy, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious :D

I wouldn't take my word for it, I'm easily confused about these things! :lol: I think if the eyelids scab over, the bun has eye drops too as it's hard for them to close their eyes.

Yeah, it is Cloud. :) She seems happy enough in herself so I'm hoping the biopsy results will come back as nothing too serious. But then, if it is nodular myxi, I don't think it'll be the end of the world as the only symptom she's had all along is a lump on her nose. Presumably she's doing a good job of fighting it. :)

There is no actual treatment or cure for the virus itself - all the medicines are either to try and alleviate pain and symptoms OR to combat secondary infections setting in as the bodies immune system lowers.

eg metacam and eye moisteners fr swellings and dry and scabbing eyes, abx and abx eye drops to prevent secondary infections in lungs and eyes.

Nebulisers also help alleviate respiratory symptoms.

Back