• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE:Bunny 8 years having dental (PHOTO ON PG 2)

beccimarie

Mama Doe
casper is going in to have his spures removed on wesnesday iv always avoided GA and they have always just filed his spures but now they need a good look at, he has never had GA before and he is 8, my savvy vet said the longest it will take is 15 mins but she is hoping to do it in 5, has anyone else had a bun this old or older thats been under GA just to put my mind at rest :( my poor baby hopfully he will feel so much better

Last edited:
thank you so much for your replys given me instant relief, i must stop thinking negitivly about it but its hard my bunnys have never had a dental issue thats needed GA before so this is a big thing but better to get it done now then when he gets older :D

I know Georgie_f has an older bunny (eight, I think?) who went through a spay at 7 and has just had a biopsy and teeth done under GA at eight. :wave:

My previous bun had to have his first dental aged 9......the vet said he may not survive but he was fine. I'm sure Casper will be fine :)

Aww, I'm sure he'll be fine but you won't stop worrying until he's home safe again.

I've had buns 7+ years undergo ops for various reasons (eye abscess, dental, amputation) and they came through ok. I think a good bunny savvy vet takes more caution with the older buns.

thank you for all your comments wish him luck for today!
my vet is very good she said she is going to use the least GA as possible and hopefully only keep him under for 5 mins so worried but gotta be positive for him :) given me a piece of mind knowing other buns have been through GA :) he is going to feel so much better ^^

Good luck for today. Homer is 7.5 now and had a dental under GA last month, he was fine. :D

Just make sure you have lots of goodies in to tempt him to eat when he gets home e.g. variety of herbs including some strong smelling ones (thyme), grated carrot, carrot tops - anything! Keep him warm too and check he has pain relief.

My Ozzie had a GA last year (around 7.5 years old) and was fine. It took a few days to get him right afterwards i.e. eating well and stomach moving... but he was fine in the end. He's still OK now and he's just over 8 years old.

we had a 9 yr odl spayed and coco has had ops at age 6,7 and 8 yrs so pleas with the right vet try not to worry xxx

My 8 year old needs a dental soon and it sends shivers down my spine.
Just be reassured that plenty of 8+ buns go under :)

UPDATE:

casper got through the GA :D the spures looked nasty the vet showed me ill put pics on later, and he is like a different bunny i thought he would be all down and stressed but he came back and he isnt fussy anymore, i used to have to almost force hay down him and there he was eating hay like he has always enjoyed it! its amazing what removing spures can do! he has got wobbly tooth too but my vet said it would have been to risky to remove it just hoping it will full out freely. he had a bit of diarrhoea yesterday all on his back legs but he always has a little when he gets stressed so had to bath his back end but is fine today :D thank you for all of you at putting my mind at rest, still nearly had tears leaving him there!

UPDATE:

casper got through the GA :D the spures looked nasty the vet showed me ill put pics on later, and he is like a different bunny i thought he would be all down and stressed but he came back and he isnt fussy anymore, i used to have to almost force hay down him and there he was eating hay like he has always enjoyed it! its amazing what removing spures can do! he has got wobbly tooth too but my vet said it would have been to risky to remove it just hoping it will full out freely. he had a bit of diarrhoea yesterday all on his back legs but he always has a little when he gets stressed so had to bath his back end but is fine today :D thank you for all of you at putting my mind at rest, still nearly had tears leaving him there!

I always do if I have to leave one for any reason.

I'm glad he got through it OK, it is always a worry no matter how old they are.

casper had his check up today he was 1.80KG but he is now 1.75KG so lost a little weight they want to see him again in 10 days just to make sure he isnt losing weight but they are happy with his recovery, he seems so much better, eating everything! even better then before, his weight lose may be due to the day he went in as he was a little dosy that day, so happy to have my healthy little boy eating lots of hay! must have been causing him so much pain! ill take some pictures of the spures now :D

100_7712.jpg

my vet said it was quite alot to take out in one go but he is so much better for it! he has never had dental before i was shocked how those spures where in such a little mouth!

Back