• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to feed flaked peas?!

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Do I just give them as a handful to a specific bun?

Cleo is really heavy, so I shall be avoiding giving them to her... as is Jamie. But their partners, Kitt and Sapphire need to gain some weight.

Anymore advice on what to give them?

They currently have a handful of Science Selective pellets shared between two bunnies, and in the evening they have a carrot, some brocolli, cabbage leaf and a spring green leaf each - accompanied with loads of green hay and fresh water.

Sapphire has definitely gained some weight since switching from A and P to SS, she just needs to gain a bit more, and Kitt quite a bit more than her.

xx

A whole carrots? That's quite a lot.

I only feed tiny bits of flaked peas as a treat, I don't think they are all that healthy even if you are trying to gain weight.

What about rolled oats? You might have to buy posh organic ones to get ones that have nothing but pure oats in them but they are supposed to be good for gaining weight.

I would seperate the buns that need the extra weight for about 5 minutes and give them the extra food then let them all back together.

A whole carrots? That's quite a lot.

I only feed tiny bits of flaked peas as a treat, I don't think they are all that healthy even if you are trying to gain weight.

What about rolled oats? You might have to buy posh organic ones to get ones that have nothing but pure oats in them but they are supposed to be good for gaining weight.

I would seperate the buns that need the extra weight for about 5 minutes and give them the extra food then let them all back together.

Thanks for your reply.

They are only mini carrots - I get the Tesco value ones. If they are longer than, say, my index finger and fatter than two fingers together I cut them in half and give half each.

Where would I get rolled oats from?

Thanks,

Lou xx

I'm a bit concerned that you may be trying to put the weight back on too quickly by giving your buns too much rich food at once. This can cause issues with the microrganisms in the caecum & several gut problems, from dysbiosis, to bloat & stasis.

If theyare gaining weight, even if it's slowly, it's safer to take it slowly.
Always weigh them at the same time, because 20% of a buns weight is poop. So weight depends on when they last pooped.

I'm a bit concerned that you may be trying to put the weight back on too quickly by giving your buns too much rich food at once. This can cause issues with the microrganisms in the caecum & several gut problems, from dysbiosis, to bloat & stasis.

If theyare gaining weight, even if it's slowly, it's safer to take it slowly.
Always weigh them at the same time, because 20% of a buns weight is poop. So weight depends on when they last pooped.

I've not tried anything to help them gain weight as yet... I always come on here for advice before I try anything new.

I just read in a different thread an established forum member recommending flaked peas and I was merely interested in how they would be fed to the rabbits.

As it stands my rabbits eat the aforementioned diet each and every day.

Thanks,

xx

Sometimes to get a bit of weight back on a bun I give some oats soaked in water. Not too much though, as mentioned above you don't want to overdo it.

You can get the oats from a supermarket.

Sometimes to get a bit of weight back on a bun I give some oats soaked in water. Not too much though, as mentioned above you don't want to overdo it.

You can get the oats from a supermarket.

Thanks, are they just bog standard porridge oats? What would I type on Tesco.com for example?

xx

Is it really 20%? So a 2kg bunny has 400 garms (14oz) on board? I knew mine pooped alot, and Ive never weighed it, but Id have thought it was closer to 2%, so 40 grams.

I've not tried anything to help them gain weight as yet... I always come on here for advice before I try anything new.

I just read in a different thread an established forum member recommending flaked peas and I was merely interested in how they would be fed to the rabbits.

As it stands my rabbits eat the aforementioned diet each and every day.

Thanks,

xx

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I'm trying to understand why 2 of your rabbits should be underweight on the current diet,& 2 be overweight. Have I understood correctly, that each overweight rabbit is partnered with a thin rabbit.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I'm trying to understand why 2 of your rabbits should be underweight on the current diet,& 2 be overweight. Have I understood correctly, that each overweight rabbit is partnered with a thin rabbit.

One of my rabbits, who is underweight, is partnered with a healthy 3 year old... when I got her her age was guesstimated as her background is unknown - however the vets now believe she is between 5 and 7. This year alone she has been treated for her teeth problems and snuffles. The other rabbit who is also underweight suffers with molar problems and so has his molars spurred, he also has been getting abscesses since I got him.

Maybe my initial post is worded wrong... it's not like I am referring to my rabbits being obese or anorexic. I just believe the two who are thinner could do with gaining a little bit.

Thanks, I have some of that in my cupboard already.

How much would you recommend giving and how often?

xx

i get a tsp of oats put it in a bowl with some cool boiled water and then leave it to soak for 5 mins :wave: i know how you feel my bunny Mae is underweight but we dont know why :(

Flaked peas are not to be used as a main food stuff but rabbits love them..and if you give a thin bunny a few peas a day, on top of their normal foods, it will not do any harm and will help them to gain..

As others have said porridge oats moistened with cooled boiled water are also good

Make sure they don't start leaving their regular pellets so only feed the extras after they have eaten their normal foods

If your rabbits are having a few health issues and you are giving them extra foods for weight gain, it is a good idea to add a probiotic to their drinking water now and again to help to give their gut a boost..

and if any animal is losing weight I would advise to get a vet to check it out, including urine tests, etc, to rule out any type of organ failure or other underlying probelms

Flaked peas are not to be used as a main food stuff but rabbits love them..and if you give a thin bunny a few peas a day, on top of their normal foods, it will not do any harm and will help them to gain..

As others have said porridge oats moistened with cooled boiled water are also good

Make sure they don't start leaving their regular pellets so only feed the extras after they have eaten their normal foods

If your rabbits are having a few health issues and you are giving them extra foods for weight gain, it is a good idea to add a probiotic to their drinking water now and again to help to give their gut a boost..

and if any animal is losing weight I would advise to get a vet to check it out, including urine tests, etc, to rule out any type of organ failure or other underlying probelms

Thanks for your reply Jill.

Sapphire is the main concern but when she had snuffles I paid for her to have x-rays, blood tests and a urine test and everything came back normal relating to her organs. She goes through stages of gaining weight then losing weight.

Kitt is the secondary concern but he has always weighed alot less than the others, I think maybe Cleo being over 2kg is what's making me think he is really skinny. He goes to the vets next week anyway for a routine healthcheck so I shall speak to them.

Thanks for everyones advice

xx

Back