• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much veg/fruit do you feed your buns & how often?

How much veg do you feed your buns? Select more than one choice if required.

• Alot of veg - Please state frequency?

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • A moderate amount of veg- Please state frequency?

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • No veg- If so any reasons for doing so

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I feed a small amount of fruit to my rabbit

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • I feed alot of fruit in my rabbits diet

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I feed no fruit at all to my rabbits- reasons

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
There seems to be varying oppinions on this so i'd like to do a poll.

If you can put below what your buns daily veg intake is, or weekly if you feed more sparingly as a treat etc.

Also if you could put what your buns main diet is and if you consider your buns in overall good health.

Anything you tend to love and anything you tend to avoid,

Thanks
Ambience xx

p.s -I put a moderate amount of veg and a little fruit. It's actually very little in the way of fruit. I do feed veg sparingly or it sets my lot of with funny poos. Carrots seem to have very little effect on digestion in small quantities however and are enjoyed throughly. Spring greens i'm wary of, i only feed a little and i do like feeding herbs, which don't seem to have any negative health impact. Apple and pear are fed occasionally as treats. Cawliflower leaves are my lots favourite and this seems to be great for digestion, regardless of quantity. Cucumber goes down well with no consequences, brocolli i'm more wary of now. I'm not that creative with the buns veg. Maybe someone else can share a more appealing diet :)) I now feed mainly hay/pellets and veg every few days. I don't do it daily anymore.

Last edited:
My bun is only 4 months old, and I'm a new bunny mummy, so don't follow my example... I'm also open to advice! My bunny is Einstein, a male lionhead.

He gets unrestricted amounts of Burgess Excel Junior & Dwarf pellets (the best available in my area) as he's a growing bun and of course unrestricted hay, a mixture of meadow and Burgess Dandelion Forage.

In addition to this, twice a day morning and evening, he gets a large bowl of garden greens cut fresh from what we have growing outside. Could be any mixture of basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, lavender, spearmint, peppermint, strawberry leaves, blueberry leaves, radish tops, kohl rabi leaves. He usually gets a few pieces of fruit/ veggies on top, whatever we have in the kitchen, usually strawberries (from the garden), cherry tomatoes, celery, cauliflower leaves, broccoli stems, bell peppers, carrot tops/ peelings etc etc...

Seems like a decent bunny diet to me, but please let me know if you think I can do better!

There will always be varying opinions on this because what is good for one rabbit is not necessarily good for another and also because there is no prime diet, just some general 'rules' or 'guidelines' to stick to.

Mine have about 5 pellets each a day and the rest hay. They get fresh as a treat and get grass when they go into the grass runs.

This only differs if somebunny needs feeding up or tempting and then they get a wide bunny buffet.

Currently Wish is on unlimited pellets because of her teeth. She also gets a fair amount of fresh foods because she likes those too. Her's is not the diet I would like any rabbit to be on, but its the diet she needs to be on.

All my rabbits are in very good condition (even those with pretty mega problems) and my vet is very pleased with how they are all doing.

Ours get a handful of SS pellets each in the morning - my handful being appropriate to the size of bun! Our giants obviously get more than the nethies! ;)

Unlimited hay throughout the day & veg every other day. I used to give it every day, but then decided to try to force them to eat more hay, so for us it's worked. Again they get a handful according to the size of bun.

On the days they don't get veg, they get a few extra pellets in an evening.

They get a tiny bit of fruit every now & then as a treat - mainly apples & banana.

The fact the hay from our local farm is wonderful does help - I think they prefer their hay ;) Even our gummy bunnies love it & manage it just fine :)

All of ours seem healthy for the diet we've chosen for them & like Sky-O's vet - our vet is very happy with their condition :)

My two get a handful of SS pellets in the evening, and a handful of veg in the morning, hay 24/7

For one of my average sized buns,in a day they would have about 5" carrot, same of celery, 1/4 apple and a couple of leaves of spring greens for breakfast every day.

They do have other greens/veggies and fruit, but the above is an "average"

We have a salad spinner which we fill every day for all 4. They used to get spring greens and herbs but lately they've had gas (mainly Mischa and Nutmeg) so at the moment they're just having herbs. I can't feed a lot of sweet veg or fruit - it gives Mini excess cecals.

Well mine have unlimited hay inc the dandelion & marigold excel.

They are currently on P@H Junior Pellets, but I am trying to cut these down....they prob have 1.5 handfuls each (bit more than they should have but I am worried as its junior they need more)....they are 5 months.

They get a good mix daily...a few sprigs of parsley/basil, cauli leaves, some brocolli, some cauli, a handful of either rocket/spinach/watercress, some green pepper....occasionally a slice of carrot.

I am by no means a pro, just a new bun owner - but trying my best & prefer to give them some variety.

I also give some fruit occasionally too.!

:wave:
ours get a small handful of super rabbit excel for breakfast apart from our french lop who has 2 big handfuls:roll::lol:
then they have veg and occassionally fruit 6 days a week.
the days they dont have veg they have extra hay to keep their tums good.
the french lop has a kids plate of her own and the two small buns have a kids plate between them.
its a mix of two different things
spring greens, broccoli.kale,cauliflower,romaine lettuce,carrots,parsley,coriander,apple ,pear,strawberries,banana,
have tried most things but they dont like tomato, papaya or pineapple:roll:

bisc and matt have hay all the time - dustfreehay soft and stalky, then treat hays, oxbow botanical, oxbow oat hay, and green oat hay, through the day they also have some dried herbs... veg wise they only have a small plate between two of them in the evening, and only have herbs - parsley, coriander, basil, thyme and dill. fresh water aswell of course. no pellets, and in the morning they have a scoop of protexin probiotic. :)

My buns don't get fruit as Charlie can have tummy problems and I believe the sugars can be a problem for him. Plus he is super happy with a bowl full of veggies a day, and April too now (she's 5 months old and does really well on them, and has NEVER had a runny poo in her 2 1/2 months with us, yippee! :D). They get a large spring green leaf each and a handful of watercress. And also an assortment of herbs that I grow myself depending on which type is doing well that day :).

That plus 3 types of hay and Oxbow pellets (charlie is on Oxbow t, April on the junior version)

I feed Basil big handful of herbs from the garden morning and night, usually from a selection of mint, basil, coriander, camomile, fennel, sage, thyme, calendula, marjoram, carroway, lavender, tarragon, celery leaf, lemon balm and also rose leaves, strawberry leaves, bramble leaves. He also has cucumber, cherry tomatoes, tiny amount of carrot. Fruit, only sparingly, a strawberry, couple of blackberries or slice of apple once per day. He seems happy and well to me. :)

I can't vote in the poll because the phrases "a lot" "moderate" etc are too subjective.

My pair get roughly two 6" bowls of fresh food between them each day. It's hard to quantify because some types of veg take up more space in the bowl than others. They go to graze on my neighbour's lawn on sundays and I don't give them any veg when they've been there.

I give an occasional sliver of apple/grape/strawberry as they enjoy it soooooo much more than their normal food and I don't beleive that, for my particular buns, it has any ill effects. They seem to do okay on this diet...I would alter it in the case of any digestive problems.

My 2 ickle ones are still young and weve only had runny poo's once.

They have unlimited timothy hay and meadow and dandylion hay all day.

In the morning they'll have a little baby spinich and in the evening they'll have some savoy cabbage which they seem to love. Every 2 or 3 days they'll have a corrot each.

The runny poos came when we tried a sort of dried sweetcorn treat. It was the only new thing in thier diet so we took it away from them.

They gat a small bowl of p@h junior pellets each wich seems to last them from dinner time to night time.

They have treats wich the like which are egg biscuits with wild berrys. They find them very yum yum.

Mine have pellets breakfast and tea, unlimited hay. During the day while out in their run, they eat grass, hazel branches and leaves and brambles. In the evening they'll have a spring green leaf and a couple of slices of carrot or apple, or sprouts, broccoli, cucumber. Sometimes for breakfast they have a slice of banana. They love this!!
Didnt know they could eat grapes and strawberries. Can they eat tomatoes?

For mine they get some sort of veg every day ( usually carrot or courgette ) plus a pile of mixed herb leaves and garden produce ( eg strawberry leaves, fennel, marjoram, mint, salad burnet, borage, pea shoots). Fruit probably once every few days and usually a small piece of banana, or a strawberry. They like the wee alpine strawberrys I have , and also currently liking the occasional rose hip.

Mine get 12 pellets each in the morning plus another 10 in their treat ball. they are then out on grass for 12hours+ a day, with hay aswell.
At night they have unlimited hay (usually 3 types) and the equivalent of a 6 inch bowl of veg between them. they get a variety of pretty much any veg that buns can eat and touch wood we've had no tummy issues. They don't like broccoli much. They especially like spring greens, cauli leaves, mange tout and basil. I also alternate with natural food (bramble, dandelion, hawthorn, plantain etc) where I can.
they have apple, carrot, grapes or turnip maybe once a week in small quantities.

My two (5 months old) get a handful of (SS) pellets between them at breakfast and the same at teatime ... they have unlimited bale hay 24/7 and also 2 handfuls of 'treat' hay each a day.

At supper time they get a large handful each of veggies .... obviously these vary but their current faves are ...... cauli leaves, cauli, a small amount of brocolli, cucumber, celeriac, peppers, celery, a small amount of tomato, mixed salad leaves (rocket, watercress, baby spinach), rosemary, coriander and every other day they get a small slice of apple or banana each.

They're doing really well on this 'regime' and are happy healthy little buns! x

Back