• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

apple leaves?

breeze

Mama Doe
can rabbits and guinea pigs eat apple leaves?next door have a huge apple tree and they look lovely for the buns and piggies :oops: tried pick some blackberry leaves but they hurt too much :lol:

yes they can :D:D start off with only a few tho just like normal veg and build up to a bigger amount over time

I used nail scissors to cut off some blackberry leaves... and then i used them to cut all the sharp bits off the back of the leaves just in case :oops:

Both my bun and piggies love apple tree twigs/branches. We have a few trees, and my nan has about 10 so I just grab a few all growing season from people for them. They love them. My bun hides in the branch if I get a bushy ones and pounces out to see you as you come past. He chews all the bark off when its fresh, but if its more than about a week old he wont touch it. piggies only like fresh stuffs too.

Yes my buns and piggies like them too. Anyone know about other fruit trees I also have Pear, Hazel nut & Plum trees which I think are OK I haven't tried them yet. Is it right that Cherry is a big no no? I also have Red currant growing. As well as two different sages and mint and chives. I could do with a book identifying leaves which are safe for Buns and Piggies does anyone know of one?:)

Yes my buns and piggies like them too. Anyone know about other fruit trees I also have Pear, Hazel nut & Plum trees which I think are OK I haven't tried them yet. Is it right that Cherry is a big no no? I also have Red currant growing. As well as two different sages and mint and chives. I could do with a book identifying leaves which are safe for Buns and Piggies does anyone know of one?:)

Trees where the fruit has a stone are a no-no. So cherry, plum, stuff like that.

id be worried they hurt their mouths :oops:

Have a look at these baby wildies eating last year's brambles in spring.
I get quite worried they'll fall & hurt the other end on the big thorns on the briars.:oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zRr_EpyNE

I think it's easier for them growing naturally on briars than lying flat.
I suspect it's more likely that they would hurt their lips. They can't see what theyare eating - they identify it by smell, & touch with lips.
Thumper won't eay thing which is downy (perhaps because many poisonous plants are downy eg buttercup); but he'll eat them happily if dried so the down disappears.

Back