• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with permanent runs on grass

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
How do you keep the grass clean?:oops:

I have new turf laid over mesh, but they are gonna have access 24/7. Do I just rake everyday?:?

With my moveable runs, I just move the run & hose the area:oops:

When my buns used the run (they free range now) i used to brush the poo with a heavy builders brush then hose down, im having to do that now because of the piggies are using the run :) xxx

here is an idea i just thought of lol what about a VAX then you could hoover the grass :lol: a VAX can do water so wet grass no prob

I used to do it by sweeping up the droppings/scraps of hay and watering the grass at the end of every day to wash away any urine, make sure you keep the grass short (despite being a grazing animal, my rabbits have never in all their lives/my life managed to properly keep the grass trim :shock:) so it doesn't get all long and thin and difficult to clean, and just keep replacing any patches that die off :wave:

Mine all have their litter trays in the run as that is where they go toilet. I just pick up any poos that are in the wrong place and put them in the litter tray. Also pick up clumps of hay from around the litter tray and take away when I change the tray. I use upside down clay plant pots to try and stop them going toilet in particular places

A Garden hoover :), though we dont have grass under our runs for the boarders so that we can disinfect between buns and minimise the risk of infection and digging in/out:D

Last edited:
lol we have a flame thrower which every week we burn off the grass and use quick growing grass seed , We then seed the grass on day one and then add to it again 2 days later then it grows very quickly and we move our runs back. The vet tells me its a great way of sterilising the ground to prevent certain illnesses. We can move all our runs and grown grass over 2 weeks and works for us.

I've just been sweeping the grass with a dustpan and brush (I do like to keep the neighbours entertained) but i must admit the back half of the run which is under the actual hutch has started smelling a bit foisty, and there's like a whiteish hard coating which i think is the hay that doesn't get swept that's rotting :?

We want to move it so that it's up against the shed then the underneath bit will be on concrete but we tried shifting it this weekend and the grass has grown round the mesh and it won't budge :evil: So going to have to dismantle it all.

Back