• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Black Rabbits

nik106

Warren Scout
In a few threads on here people have mentioned about black rabbits not being overly popular when people come to homing rabbits, either through a breeder, pet shop or rescue...

I don't see it, what's wrong with black rabbits?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with black rabbits - I adore them :love::love::love:

We have 5 of them :love:

Sadly they tend to get overlooked in favour of prettier coloured bunnies :( Just like REW's do & agouti's :(

I have a black rabbit too, i think she's adoreable. Her colour wasn't even a consideration when i got her, it was the way she reached up for us against the glass when we walked over to her cage that made us fall in love with her.

I have a white rabbit, but two of my sponsor rabbits are black, as was one of my late sponsor rabbits. :love::love::love: The lady I rehomed from also had a black rabbit, but he wasn't there when I viewed. I took the white one because I would never have been able to choose between them, ot because I had anything against black rabbits.

Its the same with black cats and dogs as well as far as popularity. I have 3 black cats, and love black rabbits and dogs too, they tend to be really shiney coated and stunning :love:

I think Black bunnies look cute and elegant :oops:

When i started searching for a wifey for Biscuit, Tinkerbell (someone here has her i think?) was a gorgeous black bunny and a picture of her in the snow was what made me fall in love with her periscoping :love:

I never really went for black black pets but I've ended up with 3 black rabbits, a black mouse, a black hen and a black dog. I think they're beautiful, but I still see why they get overlooked in favour of more striking animals.

Along with the reasons mentioned (people falling for prettier patterns and colours) I guess black animals are also notoriously hard to get good photographs in artificial lighting - and sometimes even in broad daylight :shock: a lot of my evening indoor photographs on a standard digital camera just show a black silouhette as if someone cut the bunny out of the picture :lol:

I just think it makes their beautiful eyes stand out more :love: and my god the coat-shine you can get on black fur is nearly blinding 8)

I have 2 black bunnies & love them :love: :love: For some reason they were in the rescue for ages though as no one wanted them :cry: :cry:

Along with the reasons mentioned (people falling for prettier patterns and colours) I guess black animals are also notoriously hard to get good photographs in artificial lighting - and sometimes even in broad daylight :shock: a lot of my evening indoor photographs on a standard digital camera just show a black silouhette as if someone cut the bunny out of the picture :lol:

I just think it makes their beautiful eyes stand out more :love: and my god the coat-shine you can get on black fur is nearly blinding 8)

The buns in your signature say it all :love: Absolutely stunning!

I know what you mean about the eyes :D

One of mine is black - I didn't get to choose ours (OH+skids+trip to P@H), but would never have even considered what colour they were!
I actually really like agoutis - they look the most like rabbits (if that doens't sound too odd).

Back