• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long without eating?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grim has no front teeth and not many back ones either so he can't eat hay. :(
I feed him soggy pellets and I've had to find ingenious ways to hide them from Smoo. At the moment I have a plastic protection sheet on my bed and I put them up there for him. Sooner or later Samus will figure out what's up there and then I'll have to find another place. Anyway I don't like to leave him food when I'm out because I'm sure Samus will find and eat it. Then I have two problems, a fat Samus and I don't know how much Grim has eaten.

But I worry about the length of time I leave him without food for. Samus has her hay but there's nothing I can leave for Grim that she wont scoff. It's usually not more than 4 hours at a time but last night they asked me to to stay on at work so it was longer. What sort of length of time is too long to leave a bun without food?

A few hours really. 4 is ok if it is during the usual sleepy time of day as they don't eat then anyway and will probably derive nutrition from caecotrophs. I would not leave it longer than 4 hours really.

12 hours is the maximum before hepatic lipidosis is said to begin.

Is there nothing you can leave them both that she can eat and will last all day? How is she with leaves and things?

Alvin has done 6-7 hours during a car journey without eating. a few nibbles of wet veg but not proper eating.

If he cannot physically eat regular hay you could offer these (link below)soaked with water till the turn to smush. They are just hay and have fed them to chinchillas and rabbits before with no problems.
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=lucky+reptile+herb+cobs&hl=en&aq=f

I'd also leave a bowl of moistened pellets out, then offer more when home
from work, does it really matter if your other bun eats them as well?

Thanks.
The problem is all Grim can eat are soggy pellets and he will have oats and bread, but really that's it. And Samus will eat anything and all of it. I used to leave pellets out all day for them but she would eat them as well as Grim. I don't want to put her health in jeopardy by over feeding her, especially when she will happily eat hay and veg. :?

I think I need to find something healthy they can both eat while I'm away but not only is Grim limited due to his health, but he's so fussy on top of that!

Or, I need a magnetic cat flap and I'll give Grim the activator collar so he can have his own special eating room. :lol:

Have you tried leaving a bowl of Supreme Science Recovery in with him or would Samus scoff that too?

Have you tried leaving a bowl of Supreme Science Recovery in with him or would Samus scoff that too?

Wanna guess? :roll: She's a BARC bunny after all. :mrgreen:
And literally about five minutes after writing my last post she was on the bed eating his food...

I'm just going to have to sit with him while he eats or put Smoo in another room or outside... she won't be happy but it's for the good of both of them.

casper managed to eat the broad blades of the dust free hay company..but not enough..he managed to eat excel...but i found i topped it with this food...

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=16

the oral ones.

my first housebun had her teeth out and she couldnt eat hay..but she ate grated carrot and shredded danelions...kale....etc. i didnt have access to anything other than pet shop hay in those days.

some buns seem to cope..some dont.

hope you can get the balance sorted:wave:

Thanks. :)

I think what happened with Grim is that his teeth started to hurt when he got the abscesses underneath, but at the time we didn't know. So although he used to eat broccoli and carrot I used to give him big bits but perhaps it hurt his teeth to bite bits off. So maybe he remembers that, but he hasn't eaten veg since. Sometimes I can get him to eat a bit of cauliflower but only if I sprinkle oats all over it. :roll:
And he will sometimes eat apple but it gives him a funny tummy, typical.
I've mentioned before that Dexter, who also has no incisors will happily munch on huge bits of spring greens but Grim won't even touch tiny pieces...

Back