• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metabolic disorder

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondered if anyone had come across metabolic disorders in rabbits, and if there was any info or suggestions or anything at all relating to it.

I've just had this presented to me but have never come across it so feel like I'm feeling about in the dark. I have not yet researched although I do intend to. Right now I need to shake my migraine though, hence asking before doing that.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Lobo :) Very much appreciated. I can't read that right now but will do in due course.

In this situation it appears the rabbit may be overheating in some situations and also getting too cold in others (i.e. possibly unable to regulate her temperature, although I had a vague thought it could be hormones given we know at least two of her siblings have hormonal issues). We have suspected for a long time that she was born with something fundamentally wrong inside and things not joining up where they should.

Thanks Lobo :) Very much appreciated. I can't read that right now but will do in due course.

In this situation it appears the rabbit may be overheating in some situations and also getting too cold in others (i.e. possibly unable to regulate her temperature, although I had a vague thought it could be hormones given we know at least two of her siblings have hormonal issues). We have suspected for a long time that she was born with something fundamentally wrong inside and things not joining up where they should.

Who is it Sky-O - if you don't mind me asking? Sorry to jump on thread and not be of any use :oops:

Its ok. Its something we have known was there for a while. After her change of behaviour I took her to the vets this morning. My vet was so chuffed with how she looks and how well she is doing. He now also thinks dentals may be a viable option for her as opposed to having her PTS, which is also good news :D She's happy and bright and her lying down and lethargy is likely to be overheating because he could feel how warm her ears were but there are no other signs of any infection or anything that might raise her temperature. I came out of the appointment very chuffed and he was very chuffed with her too. She's good :)

I'm so happy she's bright and bubbly. Never thought in a million years she would be so poorly, bless her little fluffyness.

Get all the luck eh?

So glad she won't have to be PTS right now and that a dental may be an option...she's such an adorable little poppet.

Hope you are holding up okay :)

Sounds like auto thermoregulation issues? I wonder if she has an autoimmune disorder - hormonal related - adrenal glands maybe? Do buns have adrenal glands? :?
Poor Wish :cry:

Metabolic disorders in humans are vast - so many possibilities. Can your vet make enquiries with her symptoms via an exotics referral?

I'm so happy she's bright and bubbly. Never thought in a million years she would be so poorly, bless her little fluffyness.

Get all the luck eh?

I really feel for you Sky-O as you really do seem to have a hard time of it with your buns but part of me wonders if luck does come into play somewhere, these buns are all extreamly lucky to have ended up in your care where their special needs can be catered to properly. Hard for you, but maybe some things are just meant to be. I'm glad her outlook is much brighter.

Having done a bit more reading about this I'm starting to see some interesting things.

I've only currently looked at it in people, however, one of the things it says is that something that may go hand in hand with a metabolic issue would be the person being 'intersex' or a hermaphrodite (Wish has one hermaphrodite 'sister, and another 'brother' who is not entirely normal).

It also says in people it is genetic, which may also make sense.

prettylupin, I don't think we are going to look into it anymore at the moment because it won't make any difference to what we can do for Wish, it would be for interest's sake and I don't have enough money to spend it on interest, although if there was a reason to spend it on her then obviously I would.

Thank Amy, these 5 (Wish and her siblings) came about randomly, but the rest I have taken on since joining the RSPCA have all bee ill or suffering or would have died if they had stayed where they were. I guess I take on the 'ropey' bunnies :lol:

Back