• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wally is not himself

ottoman

New Kit
Just a bit worried about my rabbit as he is behaving very differently this morning. I get up and feed hom a 9am every morning, a egg cup full of pellets , hay, and veg. He normally goes mad as he knows its food time.

This morning he just sits in his litter tray and is not interested in the food. If you stroke him he starts to fall asleep. I have even opened his hutch up so he can run around the garden. He is instantly out normally but not today.

Any thoughts anyone?

thats strange, one of my nethie boys is being like that this morning. normally he is quite skittish but today he was just sitting down and let me fuss and stroke him with vertually no reaction

Ottoman - is he not eating/drinking at all?

Also, is he pooping/weeing still can you tell?

If not - this is now an emergency i'm afraid :( and its time to call the vet.

Could be teeth issues if he's not eating or he could be in pain from teeth or something else and then the beginnings of something called Stasis, where a buns stomach slows down and then stops working.

Bunnys are very good at hiding illness and can go downhill VERY quickly.

Please get in touch with your vet !

Keep us updated.

I dont think its his teeth as he had those out most of them out when he was young as they were in growing. His poo's look the same as normal. He was fine last night. He had broccoli and rocket for tea last night with his pellets. He always has his hay in there for him to munch.

Well i have booked him in for the vets this morning. Fingers crossed that hes ok.

I dont think its his teeth as he had those out most of them out when he was young as they were in growing. His poo's look the same as normal. He was fine last night. He had broccoli and rocket for tea last night with his pellets. He always has his hay in there for him to munch.

Well i have booked him in for the vets this morning. Fingers crossed that hes ok.

Glad he's still pooping - thats good at least.

Lets see how he gets on at the vets.. :)

I had this with a rabbit didnt eat for 2 days would just sit there, so I took him to the vet turned out he had trapped wind!!! hahaha
I hope its something as simple as that for your bunny xx x xx

I had this with a rabbit didnt eat for 2 days would just sit there, so I took him to the vet turned out he had trapped wind!!! hahaha

Trapped wind is the start of a much bigger problem though.

As I understand it trapped wind leads to pain, pain to not eating, not eating to the food in their stomach's getting hard and compact which leads to such a problem that the only option can be an operation. If bunnies stop eating it is an emergency.

Trapped wind in a rabbit is not a laughing matter :(

Hi,
im glad you're getting your bun to the vets ASAP, he sounds like hes displaying the signsof a very poorly bun :(
My guess would be stasis or bloat (trapped wind) both of which are very serious and painful for poor bun. With the right treatment and painkillers it can sometimes be easily sorted though.
Sending loads of vibes xxxxxx

Back