• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

jerusalem artichokes

JLG

Mama Doe
:wave: just checking that these are safe for bunnies? My friend has very kindly brought me some from her allotment. I have read that the leaves are ok but can't find anything that mentions the actual vegetable itself.
thanks

Seem to remember hearing that these are the most gas producing veg possible - well for humans anyway!
I don't think I have seen them on an 'OK for bus' list either, but someone else may have something more reliable soon.

Yes little & deceptive.
I've only cooked with them a few times & don't remember being super farty actually :lol: I've just read that they are supposed to have that effect.

Yes they can eat them. Very high potassium content, and even higher **** potential.

That was meant to say *art, not *hit.

I have been told they can cause flatulence and stomach pain in humans so would avoid them in bunnies who have much more delicate insides than us.
sue:wave:

oh heck, perhaps we'd better not then :shock: I don't want to go looking for trouble.
i will just tell my friend that they turned their noses up at them
...free bag of jerusalem artichokes anyone?????

Yep the whole plant is safe to feed, but as Mudgy says could cause a bit of windypops! :lol:

The leaves are a FABULOUS astringent feed for bunnies. Mine love the leaves and you can feed them fresh or dried - they dry very well. If you've got a friend with a whole load then ask them to cut the stems down (they will die back over winter anyway) and dry all the leaves - you lucky thing! Mine didn't do so well in our poor soil but in good soil the plants can grow up to 8-10ft!

A couple of years ago when Poppy had an impaction jerusalem artichoke leaves were the ONLY thing she would eat for about 2 days!

Back