• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Night Time Fox Proofing (Photos)

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Know a lot of people are worried about foxes at the moment (me included after finding one in my garden the other night), I spent all day helping a friend make some night time shutters for the exposed parts of the setup..

Here is the setup during the day..

P150810_1857.jpg

and at night time we add doors to the sides and top of the run plus doors for the hutch part.

P060910_0734.jpg

We used 9mm exterior plywood. The top of the run is hinged all down one side so I just lift it up and attach it to the side of the playhouse during the day. The two sides of the run that are against the walls have been filled in with exterior ply too from the inside.

As well as fox proofing, I think this will make the buns more snuggly warm in the winter when they are out in their run.

What do you think? Fox proof enough? I get so worried!

P060910_073501.jpg

P060910_073502.jpg

We used tabs at the bottom to hold the wood against the run and at the top we used twisty locks (wouldnt use these normally but there is welded mesh behind them so they are there just to keep the wood from flapping about).

P060910_073503.jpg

Hutch doors:

P060910_0735.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that looks brilliant! Very, very safe bunnies and also as you say snuggly when it gets cold. Well done!

As well as looking excellent and very professional I think that's about as secure and snug as you can get it. I'm sure the buns will be lovely and cosy and safe in there.

Well done :D

*starts to plan modification of own hutches*

:D

I'm not sure the twisty locks are safe enough, a fox might be able to knock them free and the cover would fall off :?

I'm not sure the twisty locks are safe enough, a fox might be able to knock them free and the cover would fall off :?

But even if the fox managed to get the twisty lock (which is very tight) undone, there is welded mesh behind it.

Yes, but inside it is welded mesh secured with staple nails.

Ah right, from the pic I wondered if the whole window frame lifted up :oops:

You have done a great job, lovely set up which looks nice as well :)

Maybe we could make this a stick and other people add their fox proofing so others can get ideas (and realise the importance)

Thanks for the pictures Fluffiebunnie, me and my OH were wondering how you were going to do this - I'll show him this thread later and see if we can do something similar.

You've actually managed to make it look good with the panels on, its so neat! Looks really great and very secure :D

Well done it looks great very desres!:D

Can't believe you managed to get it looking so professional in such a short space of time, my OH would take months:)

I'm sure you've got it covered but what about ventilation will there be enough? Just a thought because it could get mouldy over winter otherwise. We had that problem in our conservatory and that was after adding air bricks under the floor and leaving the window open a crack.:(

Other than that I can't see how you could do any better other than building them a house:) This reminds me of the 3 little pigs:lol:

Back