• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prickles, thorns and buns tongues

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I'm always getting prickles and thorns in my fingers from the hay how do the buns go on with their little tongues and paws :?

You can feed them fresh Dead nettles (mine wont eat them) or you can dry both stingers and dead nettles and feed in the winter. Most rabbits like nettle hay.

Well, wild rabbits eat brambles - they haven't got anybody to cut the thorns off for them ;)

As for nettles - they may sting us, but I know that although I cringe when our dog goes into a clump of nettles for a pee they never seem to sting him.

As for nettles - they may sting us, but I know that although I cringe when our dog goes into a clump of nettles for a pee they never seem to sting him.

Have you tried feeding nettles? I am just not brave enough but we have lots growing close by so I am always tempted :)

Have you tried feeding nettles? I am just not brave enough but we have lots growing close by so I am always tempted :)

Not nettles cos I just haven't got around to it yet, but they do get brambles, which I used to de-thorn every single leaf, but now I'm braver and they happily eat the leaf with thorns still on the backs :)

I asked this question a few weeks ago. Somebody told me (I can't remember who!) it's because the buns are so much smaller than us - so to us the spines ***** and hurt, but to the buns they're more like a pencil would be to us - so less sharp.

Back