• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance Dilemma - What Would you Do?

What would you do?

• Cancel the insurance and save £70+ a month for vet bills

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Cancel the insurance and get an emergency credit card

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Insure all seven rabbits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I have 7 bunnies, and only have 2 insured. I want to cancel the insurance, and it seems pointless to insure them all. If I only had 2 bunnies I would definitely have them insured, but for 7 it would be about £70 a month and I would rather just save the money for emergency vet bills. I know it's possible they can all get ill at once but it's unlikely, and then there's the excess anyway.

I'd cancel the insurance and put the money away each month if you can afford to do so. That way you'll have a nice little pile of money gaining interest and if worse comes to the worse you can always have an emergency credit card if the vet bills exceed your savings :thumb:

You've had all the spays and that done now, haven't you? Do any of them seem likely to be dental buns? If so then insure them, and save for the rest.

You can't guarantee that they won't all get ill at once, but as long as you have saved that sum each month you will have some put by.

I agree with Blackberry. In an ideal world, insuring them all would be the thing to do ... but who lives in an ideal world??? :wave:

I have said cancel and save. I have only said that as it was about £60 a month to insure my lot so I cancelled it. I do have around £1000 in an emergency fund just in case though

I have Strawbs and Snow insured but not Bungle. So far Snowdrop has cost the most in vet treatment then Bungle is second. He was £300 in two days when he had to have his nose stitched, and then restitched!

I have said cancel and save. I have only said that as it was about £60 a month to insure my lot so I cancelled it. I do have around £1000 in an emergency fund just in case though

I have an emergency fund too not just for the buns for any emergency, so would like to get some more saved

I've been thinking the same about my lot. I have 5 insured atm and Pearl isn't insured. I have been thinking about cancelling mine and putting the money aside.I would keep Stew's on though due to her problems....not sure what to do! i would also like to know if you can cancel halfway - i'm assuming you can,what if you didn't have the buns anymore for instance? :?

I've been thinking the same about my lot. I have 5 insured atm and Pearl isn't insured. I have been thinking about cancelling mine and putting the money aside.I would keep Stew's on though due to her problems....not sure what to do! i would also like to know if you can cancel halfway - i'm assuming you can,what if you didn't have the buns anymore for instance? :?

If your bun passed away then you could stop the insurance - not sure about other circumstances :?

I work in insurance and presume that if you haven't made a claim that year then you would be able to cancel :wave:

You've had all the spays and that done now, haven't you? Do any of them seem likely to be dental buns? If so then insure them, and save for the rest.

You can't guarantee that they won't all get ill at once, but as long as you have saved that sum each month you will have some put by.

i agree with this too :wave:

I think I would go with the cancel and save option too. It's what we do. If I had 2 I would have insurance but it's £40 a month which I'd rather save. My Dad is there as backup in case something major happens.

You would need to save more than £70 a month to make up for the insurance. I would start at £200 a month until you have a decent sized savings account.

It also depends on the buns concerned. If they have had any illness during their period of insurance I would keep them insured, whether you claimed or not. If they are getting close to 5 years old I would keep them insured.

Back