• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many buns can i house in a double or triple hutch?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I'm trying to figure out space saving wise what i can do for a month to accomadate my buns until i've got more space setup. I was thinking going up instead of across. They will still have time out everyday.

So i was thinking- if i buy some 6x2x2 triple hutches without ramps, or double hutches- i can keep a solo bun or a pair together.

Is that correct. 6x2x2ft for a small pair?

So one double could have - shadow/stripe in the bottom half. The top half could be another bunny - one of my solo buns, or i could try bonding a couple of my solo buns and keep them together. So i would have four to one hutch. Is that fair?

This is only temporary- but i'm struggling with solutions at present.
The other way i could do it, is get a few triple hutches- Does anyone know where i can get some 6ft triples?

Thanks
Ambience xx

To comply with RSPCA MINUMUM recomendations, you would need a large attached permanent access run which wouldn't be possible for whoever is in the top hutch.

If this is your own rabbits and you are looking at setting up something so that you can take in rescue rabbits, you need to consider that permanent rabbits need to be accomodated differently than those who have come in as rescues.

I agree with *lily* that they will need 6 x 2 x 2 with an attatched run if they are your own buns as you need to be able to demonstrate the conditions rabbits need to live in rather than just paying lip service to the recommendations. You cannot expect potential adopters to do as you are not doing, however temporary your accomodation is.

If this is your own rabbits and you are looking at setting up something so that you can take in rescue rabbits, you need to consider that permanent rabbits need to be accomodated differently than those who have come in as rescues.

I agree with *lily* that they will need 6 x 2 x 2 with an attatched run if they are your own buns as you need to be able to demonstrate the conditions rabbits need to live in rather than just paying lip service to the recommendations. You cannot expect potential adopters to do as you are not doing, however temporary your accomodation is.

Hi i'm not rescuing until i've got the land sorted which should be about a month. This is just going to be at my own property. The rescue is going to be run seperate from my own home.

The accomadation is temporary for one month whilst i'm moving down there , then they will be relocated permanently. They are going to be living away from my home, but within walking distance. They will have more than enough space in there permanent accomadation, but this is just something i'm trying to sort out for now. I think i'd proberbly be better getting the dimensions, then i can figure out what would fit best where.

They have space at the moment here. I could leave them down here - whilst i give my notice. I was just wanting to move them with me as soon as i could.

Ambience xx

To comply with RSPCA MINUMUM recomendations, you would need a large attached permanent access run which wouldn't be possible for whoever is in the top hutch.

Okay i appreciate this would be if i was complying with the rspca minimum standards and i realize i wont be. I can't possibly have an attached run setup to each hutch as there just isn't enough space. I will have to rotate them, like some of the other members on here do with there buns. As i say this is just temporary.

Ambience xx

Okay i appreciate this would be if i was complying with the rspca minimum standards and i realize i wont be. I can't possibly have an attached run setup to each hutch as there just isn't enough space. I will have to rotate them, like some of the other members on here do with there buns. As i say this is just temporary.

Ambience xx

But a month is a long time when a rabbit is cooped up in accomodation that is substandard! There is no excuse when people are well aware of MINIMUM recomendations. A 6ft hutch isn't large enough when there is no attached run. Ok, they may be able to do a couple of hops, but it's hardly enabling them to display normal rabbit behaviour.

What is wrong with the housing that they are currently in, that you want to go to that kind of expense for one month? You've said you have 7x 6x4ft runs, that they are in for most of the day, so why the need to make a temporary change, unless they are already in substandard housing?

I keep mine free roam in a shed, and keep the rescue's in multi tier hutch's inside a brick outhouse. They take it in turns to free roam the whole outhouse, as well as my garden and yard. The RSPCA guidlines for one medium rabbits is a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft huch, for two medium rabbits it's 6 x 2 x 2, which I don't really get :? but nonetheless, it all depends on personality, size of rabbit, and how much play time they get. I have hutch's/cages and if they've been here to long they get upgraded to larger hutch or free roam or fostered out.
A good idea before rescuing is finding friends willing to foster, and giving yourself a limit. Our limit is five at the moment, but we also have four additional babies here too.
Hope I helped.

But a month is a long time when a rabbit is cooped up in accomodation that is substandard! There is no excuse when people are well aware of MINIMUM recomendations. A 6ft hutch isn't large enough when there is no attached run. Ok, they may be able to do a couple of hops, but it's hardly enabling them to display normal rabbit behaviour.

6ftx2ftx2ft with time out in a run is substandard? I appreciate it is better to have an attached run, but sometimes this isn't possible. Surely not everyone on this forum has an attached run 24/7. I know for a fact, some buns are in hutches until the are put out in the runs. I'm not saying they wouldn't be able to be out in the runs the majority of the time as i will have access to fields which i can use, with there existing runs, but for somewhere for them to sleep, i don't think it's too bad for temporary accomadation.

Ambience xx

6ftx2ftx2ft with time out in a run is substandard? I appreciate it is better to have an attached run, but sometimes this isn't possible. Surely not everyone on this forum has an attached run 24/7. I know for a fact, some buns are in hutches until the are put out in the runs. I'm not saying they wouldn't be able to be out in the runs the majority of the time as i will have access to fields which i can use, with there existing runs, but for somewhere for them to sleep, i don't think it's too bad for temporary accomadation.

Ambience xx

You asked for peoples opinions but it doesn't seem that you want anyone to disagree with you :?

To me, even the RSPCA recomended minimum sizes just aren't big enough to allow rabbits to display natural behaviour. Obviously, you feel that what you are contemplating IS big enough and nothing I say will change your mind.

What is wrong with the housing that they are currently in, that you want to go to that kind of expense for one month? You've said you have 7x 6x4ft runs, that they are in for most of the day, so why the need to make a temporary change, unless they are already in substandard housing?

The accomadation i have now i've had for quite a while and it needs renewing- i.e been chewed etc and just worn in general , also the sheds are fittings of the garden- i.e brick built, i can't take them with me. I have a 6x2x2 double hutch that is in storage here, that i've not used yet, so that can come with me. Then i want to get the rest , new hutches again or even a dog kennel if i can fit it for one lot of buns. My boyfriend is paying for it and is happy to shell out for them. He doesn't want old hutches at the new property. Its' immaculate and he wants everything to be new- including our sofas etc. Nothing to do with me , his decision really. Only thing i'm concerned with is making sure the buns have enough space.

Ambience xx

Ambience xx

As you've just said in another thread, your rabbits stay out in their runs overnight, when the weather is good. What size are the hutches they live in at the moment, when the weather isn't good, that you need to make this change (at huge expense) for a period of one month?

I keep mine free roam in a shed, and keep the rescue's in multi tier hutch's inside a brick outhouse. They take it in turns to free roam the whole outhouse, as well as my garden and yard. The RSPCA guidlines for one medium rabbits is a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft huch, for two medium rabbits it's 6 x 2 x 2, which I don't really get :? but nonetheless, it all depends on personality, size of rabbit, and how much play time they get. I have hutch's/cages and if they've been here to long they get upgraded to larger hutch or free roam or fostered out.
A good idea before rescuing is finding friends willing to foster, and giving yourself a limit. Our limit is five at the moment, but we also have four additional babies here too.
Hope I helped.

Thanks :) I think that i'll have ama, lily and lucy in the shed across the road- with a mesh door for the day, as they are bigger than all the rest of my buns.

Then i need something ground level for rose, ava and athena, so maybe a dog kennel for them, which will fit one side of the house.

Shadow and stripe can go in the bottom of the 6x2 hutch, with a metal run that goes onto the garden. - at the other side of the house

Adonia will have to be inside with her snuffles- we will have to come to some arrangement for her, as she really doesn't like outdoors.

Then i have paws, ares, sunny, patch, blaze,

paws and sunny are brothers, so i could try rebonding them together and see how they go on. Perhaps they could go above shadow and stripe temporarily- They will not have permanent access to a run, just access in the day- would that be enough for a month.

Patch and blaze are ill - so i want to keep them in a seperate hutch too. I can keep them in another 6 x 2 x2 - One could have a run attached- the other,would have to be put out in the day in the field with a field shelter.

Hmm- non of this sounds ideal yet. A triple hutch would be better space wise though.

Ambience xx

You asked for peoples opinions but it doesn't seem that you want anyone to disagree with you :?

To me, even the RSPCA recomended minimum sizes just aren't big enough to allow rabbits to display natural behaviour. Obviously, you feel that what you are contemplating IS big enough and nothing I say will change your mind.

I don't feel that lily- i feel they should be with attached run, permanently 24/7, but this is just not possible. In fact i prefer- large avairy and kennel setups. I don't want to turn the house down though. My oh has his heart set on it. I suppose i could stay here for the first month, and then move down when the setup is ready for the buns away from the house.

Thankyou for your thoughts though- i'm not disagreeing- i do think 6x2x2 is too small - i think that even 6x4 is also small for a run. I'd prefer a much larger setup. I think a terraced house with a this garden is too small for me too, but unfortuantely i'm having to live with it for the present time :(

I will have a think about what you have said. Perhaps i am better to wait, as i don't think there is enough land at the property for what you are suggesting.

Ambience xx

Thanks :) I think that i'll have ama, lily and lucy in the shed across the road- with a mesh door for the day, as they are bigger than all the rest of my buns.

Then i need something ground level for rose, ava and athena, so maybe a dog kennel for them, which will fit one side of the house.

Shadow and stripe can go in the bottom of the 6x2 hutch, with a metal run that goes onto the garden. - at the other side of the house

Adonia will have to be inside with her snuffles- we will have to come to some arrangement for her, as she really doesn't like outdoors.

Then i have paws, ares, sunny, patch, blaze,

paws and sunny are brothers, so i could try rebonding them together and see how they go on. Perhaps they could go above shadow and stripe temporarily- They will not have permanent access to a run, just access in the day- would that be enough for a month.

Patch and blaze are ill - so i want to keep them in a seperate hutch too. I can keep them in another 6 x 2 x2 - One could have a run attached- the other,would have to be put out in the day in the field with a field shelter.

Hmm- non of this sounds ideal yet. A triple hutch would be better space wise though.

Ambience xx
I'm a little lost, Im gonna PM you so I can help. If you've not seen my other thread I'm great at planning things to the exact mm :roll::oops:

Back