• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure how ok Wish is- hiding in the hay

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Today Wish has taken to burying herself in hay.

I have tried eradicating all the things that I could think it might be (wind, exposure, cold) and she is still doing it. The only thing I can't eradicate is loneliness (she was separated from her bonded friend earlier this week).

She's bounding about inside right now and is still burrowing herself in sporadically. But when she is out she is binkying, eating, pooing, weeing.

Roger does this on a normal basis so its not a big deal for him, but for Wish this is not normal. The only other time I've seen a bunny do it abnormally was shortly before we had Summer PTS and her body was failing.

We know Wish is on borrowing time so I'm not sure whether she is just being random, or whether she is struggling.

Sometimes I hate being a bunny mummy.

Bunnies are a nightmare sometimes - it's such a fine line between signs of illness, and just signs of doing something new to wind you up :roll:

Hope she's ok, or that if it's her time, she goes peacefully.

Im hoping its lonliness and shes withdrawn into herself.
Have you tried a cuddly toy, just to get another entity into her cage with her??
Dear little Wish........:(

If it was loneliness then I would have expected it to happen after they were separated on Tuesday, not nearly a week later, although I may be wrong. When she is awake and alert she is hernormal self. She seems to need a lot of rests today, I think that's what it comes down to. But why, I don't know.

I can think of a couple of possibilities, assuming you have ruled out struggling to maintain her body temperature. It could be that she might be feeling more vulnerable than normal, perhaps due to being alone now, or she may simply be expressing her natural digging urges which seem to come to a fore with some bunnies in Autumn xx

If it was loneliness then I would have expected it to happen after they were separated on Tuesday, not nearly a week later, although I may be wrong. When she is awake and alert she is hernormal self. She seems to need a lot of rests today, I think that's what it comes down to. But why, I don't know.

From totally in-experienced me - could it be that she's only just showing signs of loneliness as she kind of 'enjoyed' being on her own for a few days and how different it all is, but now she's feeling like there isn't anything else, as she's explored etc everything she can?

I hope this is just an off day or two Sky-O, i really do...

Even more noserubs for you wish...mummy will have saw fingies soon from giving you so many!

Thanks Graham.

I don't think its loneliness. Having seen the vet today we have drawn the conclusion that she is unable to regulate her temperature, so her funny behaviour tallies in with her overheating.

She just doesn't strike me as a lonely bunny who misses her sister.

I'm feeling more positive about Wish now having seen the vet today :)

Back