• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny has swollen red and weeping eyes :'(

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
i woke up this morning and went out to the hutch to hold Destiny... and her eyes are swore, red and slightly swollen. One eye is more so then the other.

I have been bathing them in salt water and animal eye wipes and im just going to buy some eye drops.

Iv looked on the internet and researched different eye infections and it seems to me that she has 'runny eye'... the symptoms are the same.

red sore eyes, slightly swollen, weeping and a discharge.

i have a feeling she has got it out the hay, i didnt have any straw left so for bedding a gave her hay just for the night.... could it be mite?

im giving it 24 hours and if no change taking her to the vets.

I hope she doesnt have Myxo.

ive seperated her from the other rabbit too just incase.

could any one help please im really worried :(:(:(:(

Oh dear id ring your vets asap if poss, and use boiled cooled water to bathe in the meantime. xxxx

Is she vaccinated against Myxomatosis and if so when?

Is she eating and pooing as normal?

Are her genitals swollen and/or do her ears feel unusually hot?

she was vaccinated before i got her but thats over 7 months now.

she is eating and going toilet ok, i havent checked her genitals but i shall.. she did seem quite warmer then usualy, but she was cuddled upto me and its quite warm today :(

i really am so scared :(

she was vaccinated before i got her but thats over 7 months now.

she is eating and going toilet ok, i havent checked her genitals but i shall.. she did seem quite warmer then usualy, but she was cuddled upto me and its quite warm today :(

i really am so scared :(

I think you need to get her seen by a Vet ASAP. Today if you suspect this is Myxomatosis.

She needs to be vaccinated every 6 months, can you ring your vet today she needs to be seen? xxx

ive just checked ger genitals and they do seem larger then normal... her ears a warm. i dont know if im just thinking this coz its on my mind or they are actually larger then normal (genitals) and her ears being warm.

Does any one know if there is an outbreak of myxo in kent?

and can it be carried in hay? i know there has been alot of mozzies this year. and my friends dogs have had fleas recently.... can this be the case???

if i take her the vets will they be able to cure it if it is myxo? or will they put her down :'(

ive just checked ger genitals and they do seem larger then normal... her ears a warm. i dont know if im just thinking this coz its on my mind or they are actually larger then normal (genitals) and her ears being warm.

Does any one know if there is an outbreak of myxo in kent?

and can it be carried in hay? i know there has been alot of mozzies this year. and my friends dogs have had fleas recently.... can this be the case???

if i take her the vets will they be able to cure it if it is myxo? or will they put her down :'(

Any biting insect can carry and spread Myxo, so sadly yes your friends flee's could have transmitted it.

If she has contracted it but has some resisitance from the vaccine be it over due for a booster, she may, with the correct care survive. It will depend on how you feel about the amount of nursing that will be involved.

I hope it's not for your bunny's sake.

Oh god:cry: I lost 3 frenchies last year to myxi.Ring the vets now and at least get her some pain relief.I tried to treat ours but they had to to be pts one by one:cry:. they had swollen genitals,hot heavy ears,very sore weepy eyes,and looked very sorry for themselves.If it is this you need to get them seen today,she will be in great discomfort.

i cant get to the vets today, i dont think they are open... do vets come out???

im really really worried now she is so young aswell :(

i cant get to the vets today, i dont think they are open... do vets come out???

im really really worried now she is so young aswell :(

They do home vists but are very very expensive, can you get a taxi to the vets or get a lift?

Yes vets are open its an emergency service, if you ring your local vets they will give you the emergency number. xxx

call your vet and phone the number they give you on the answerphone.If you choose to keep animals then you choose to pay for treatment even if it is out of hours and is expensive.We paid £150 last weekend to have pancake seen and treated.if it is myxi which it sounds very likely she will be in pain.

I was going to say if you are on benefits you can ring your local pdsa they wont charge you anything. xx

ok ive got her in a cat carrier and shes drinking and eating her temperature isnt as warm as earlier. ive sprayed her with mite spray and gave her eye drops. im keeping a close on her tonight and then if nothings changed im taking her to vets first thing in morning. im hoping she has go runny eye and that i see an improvement in the morning with these eye drops. ive sprayed my other bunny and hes well away from her coz i dont want it being passed on whatever she has got.
:(

Have you tried ringing your vet, if only for advice? Even if they're closed they'll have someone on the phone to deal with emergencies and will be able to advise on whether you should bring her in or not.

The vaccine doesn't suddenly become useless after 6 months, it's just that its efficacy tails off. So if the worst happens, and she does have myxi, there is a chance she will make it if given appropriate care. Hope she's ok. x

The eyes are still open... (not swollen so much that they are closed) but they are quite puffy and the eye lids are slightly red.

i can take a picture, and see what you guys think?

Back