• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We have seperated our 2 bunnys in their double tier hutch.

Snowy1997

Young Bun
One Has bottom,- One has Top.

They are both 2 months old so have not been neutered yet.

Will they get along better once they have been neutered.

They were only having a little scrap over territory, but are completely seperate and cannot get to each other now.

Can Some one give me some advice.

Last edited:
So they are both boys?
They may they may not. Generally though male rabbits dont tend to get along, even after neuter if they have had a fight. I would advise you keep then seperate for about 6 weeks after thier neuter (to let thier hormones die down) and then try to rebond them.
I would do it slowly..letting them see each other first and make sure when you actually put them together that it is a neutural space (a place neither has been to before)

I would suggest the same - neuter and rebond after a few weeks. Ours are both boys and rebonded pretty good after the neuter (fell out big style later one, but rebonded now). If they are not both boys, they definitely need to be kept separate.

Are you certain of their sex? We thought we had two girls until the day of the spey - which then became a neuter.

Hi

Thanks

The man at Pets At Home ( Which is where i bought them ) said that they are both male so i am assuming that they are both boys.

Although, this is the second day at their new home with me and my family, but already one of them has tried to hump the other one and they are both 2 months old and i think the hormones are already starting to kick in .

Would i be able to get the Vaccinations ( Myxomatosis, and the Vcd or whatever in a couple of days.

Thanks Bye

Don't qworry, I have 2 boys who love each other to bits! You just need to get them neutered, wait a few weeks for the hormones to die down, then reintroduce them in a neutral spot.

Myxi and VHD jabs have to be done a few weeks between each other. But it's great that you will be getting them injected as sadly many bunnies aren't and are under risk. :(

With the neuter, they may get along but it's not certain. I suggest that if they don't bond, would you anyway be able to get them both a spayed female to live with? ;)

ok

i would keep them seperate and take them along to the vets, you can make sure of thier sex and get thier Myxomatosis vaccine. Then 2 weeks after that you can get thier VHD vacc.

It was Pets at Home that sold us two 'girls' - it can be hard to sex them when they are young.

actually its relatively easy to sex them - unless you are Pets at Home staff:shock::shock:

I would seperate then take to vets, have them properly sexed and vaccinated. Find a GOOD rabbit vet who can then advise n neutering.

By the way, if this is a Pets at Home style two tier hutch how much room do they each still have?

PS welcome to the forum:wave::wave::wave: - we are always really pleased when people take time to ask about their buns and care about them!!

actually its relatively easy to sex them - unless you are Pets at Home staff:shock::shock:

I would seperate then take to vets, have them properly sexed and vaccinated. Find a GOOD rabbit vet who can then advise n neutering.

By the way, if this is a Pets at Home style two tier hutch how much room do they each still have?

PS welcome to the forum:wave::wave::wave: - we are always really pleased when people take time to ask about their buns and care about them!!

Going by this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=4013535#post4013535 they are in a daisy cottage which is a 4 x 2 foot double storey hutch.

My personal opinion on boy pairs is either brothers or get them neutered as soon as the tea bags drop. One rabbit I had got done straight away, and he has never once developed the typical hormonal male tendencies and is relaxed with either males or females.
When the five were dumped on me on the top hutch the two of the boys were together and although they seemed in love one would keep weeing in the others face and humping him. It's just not nice for them. May I advice if things don't work out to get them both a lady friend, I find when they have females to occupy them males are more inclined to enjoy each others company (of course all neutered)
That is if pets at home were actually correct in sexing the rabbits you may have luckily got a girl x boy combo :lol:

I know humping can be a dominance thing but it is not unusual for a pet shop to missex rabbits - personally if you don't know how to do it yourself I'd be asking a vet to double check. I know boys can live happily together but they can be problematic and personally I don't think pet shops should sell 2 males together as unless the owner is bunny savvy and neuters etc you are just asking for trouble. I wonder how many people have gone home with two boys thought it was ok and ended up with a huge bill when its gone pear shaped.

I know humping can be a dominance thing but it is not unusual for a pet shop to missex rabbits - personally if you don't know how to do it yourself I'd be asking a vet to double check. I know boys can live happily together but they can be problematic and personally I don't think pet shops should sell 2 males together as unless the owner is bunny savvy and neuters etc you are just asking for trouble. I wonder how many people have gone home with two boys thought it was ok and ended up with a huge bill when its gone pear shaped.

A lot of people on here have been down that road, I could name quite a few from here.

I think its really sad. I mean I have a bonded pair of boys who are different ages and unrelated and they are inseperable so I do appreciate its not impossible I just think for the average jo public it could go so horribly wrong.

Back