PDA

View Full Version : Vet bed?

tanya_306
05-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I cleaned the rabbit cage last night and put newspaper with lots of hay in the bed area and a clean litter tray full of Megazorb.

Went out to feed Peter, Jess & Chlo this morning and they (the girls! They always do it!!) had pulled all of the stuff I had put in the bedding and it was all over the top floor, down the ramp and all over their carpeted area downstairs!! I though it was quite cold last night so the poor babies must have been cold. :(

Their cage is lined with lino but I don't think this makes their cage cosy, just easier to clean! I was thinking maybe Vetbed would be a good idea. Peter used to have a towel he liked to lie on but the girls kept weeing on it. :roll:

If I got Vetbed, could I attach it to the floor somehow? Also where would I get it from? (I have looked on ebay but they are all different. :?) Finally, would I have just one layer over the bottom of the cage or would I give them lots of layers?

(I have bought them a snugglesafe heat pad for when it gets colder.)

Thanks. :)

Tanya.

janice
05-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Have you thought about putting things in different places in the hutch. I have often found with foster buns who have trashed the place that moving things elsewhere often reduces this type of behaviour, you have to find out what they want.

If you fix vet bed to the floor you will have problems taking it up for washing. If they pee on towels they may also pee on the vetbed.

Elena
05-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Vetbed is quite stiff I don't think you'd need to attach it to the floor really. Unless they really dig at it but then as janice says you can't take it up to wash it and if they pee on towels they are very likely to pee on vetbed!

lilbun
05-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I also find most bunnies love to pee on vetbed. Those that don't seem to like to eat it instead :roll:
However, if you decide to try it you could sew on some velcro in the corners and use the sticky backed velcro on your lino to stop it slipping about xx

PixieRabbit
05-09-2010, 10:17 PM
If you permanently attach it the bunnies might just rip it to shreds :shock:
I'd go with janice's idea and move things around, I often move around everything bar the litter tray to give them something to do, or to play with anyway.

beki
05-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I got something that seems similar to vetbed from Ikea for my cats. It is gray and fluffy like vet bed. Can't remember the cost though but not too much.

I wouldn't trust my rabbits with vetbed. Ruby eats towel and fleece so i can just imagine her with vetbed and all that fluff!!

I think velcro strips on the bottom though would be a good idea

rachylou
05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
We have also been looking for Vetbed in large sheetsand have found it here...

http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.co.uk/epages/BT3336.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3336/Products/%22Vet%20Bedding%22

Works out cheaper than a lot of other places!
What we are going to do is use this as the base on the wood then put a nice soft blanket on top so we are effectivly using it for the springyness.

janice
05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-PINK-VET-BEDDING-pet-fleece-green-back-1-5m-x-1m-/160432385271?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item255a83ecf7 if you are looking for larger sheets, ebay does them in a variety of colours.

tanya_306
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you! ;)