• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nystigmus!!! help..

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
my bun , harriett, had a bad moult about 2 weeks ago.
she had a sore tum and didnt poop overnight so i took her to the vet who gave her metaclopramide and pain killers and put her on a drip.
we brought her home that evening( she had been at the vets since 8am)
we force fed her critical care and made sure she had enough water to keep her bowel hydrated.
she didnt poop or eat for 48 hours or more...she then pooped alot! and showed us that she felt alot better by eating like a horse!!
tonight she was fine when i put her in her crate(she is a house bun) at 10pm, but i woke up at 2.30 this morning to her crashing around..i went down to check on her and noticed the rapid eye movement and that she couldnt walk straight.
i know it will be e.c....ive never treated with panacur...
will she be ok with just panacur for two weeks or is there something else she needs....
the vets here are terrible and i want to make sure that they treat her right..
thanks...
plus i have two other house buns who she doesnt get on with but they use the same litter trays..will a 28 day course for them be enough as well as keeping things separate and sanitised now
rabbitmum

Last edited:
She must be seen by a Vet. EC is of course a possibility, but so is an acute middle ear infection. Whatever the cause she will need more than just a 28 day course of Panacur. She'll need PRESCRIPTION ONLY anti-inflammatories, antibiotics and possibly more gut motility medication.

Are you able to get to this Vet :

http://www.trinityvetcentre.co.uk/

Mark Rowland is a Vet I would trust 100% with all my Rabbits.

Please get Harriet to a Vet today

I agree to get harriet to a vet today. Is there an outside chance of a reaction to the metaclopramide?

If the other rabbits share the same space / litter trays they will also need to be treated.

Part of the treatment is a thorough clean of everywhere they go with discinfectant on day 21 and day 28. The aim of this is the destroy the spores which cause EC, and to stop the cycle of the disease.

When my bun Mimi had nystagmus it was the beginnings of an inner ear infection. A few days later her head tilted aswell.
Get her to the vets ASAP as the sooner its got on top of the better. As jane said non steroidal anti inflammatories (such as metacam) are a must, along with some strong broad spectrum abx and panacur if your vet thinks EC is present. My vet was adamant that there was no EC involved in mimis case, and she did indeed recover completely without panacur.
Sending loads of vibes for you and your bun, its scary seeing them like that :(

Nystagmus was one of the initial symptoms with my Mischa too. Please get bun to a vet. The one Jack's_Jane said about is also my vet and I recommend him 100%.

thanks

thanks to all who sent a post....
the eye thing has stopped but she is still (drunk) wobbly?!
she has been put on a long dose of panacur, metacam, baytril etc and we have to take her back in a week to see how shes doing...
fingers crossed..
shes nibbling bits of things, and is her normal grumpy self!!!!
thanks again..rabbitmum

thanks to all who sent a post....
the eye thing has stopped but she is still (drunk) wobbly?!
she has been put on a long dose of panacur, metacam, baytril etc and we have to take her back in a week to see how shes doing...
fingers crossed..
shes nibbling bits of things, and is her normal grumpy self!!!!
thanks again..rabbitmum

Sounds promising. She's eating, that's the most important thing at the moment. To keep her eating.

hi all...
just a quick update...harry is still wobbly on her feet.:cry:
shes very good with her littertray but she has been using it as a bed! so ive given her two so that she can wee in one and sleep in the other!
i think she feels bad for weeing in the floor in her pen.!!!
she has the biggest "dog crate" we could find:roll:
no head tilt though...is this a good sign?
still grumpy, doesnt like the critical care or the water i have tried to syringe feed her:roll: is eating little and often though.
will keep you posted!
rabbitmum

Back