• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abandoned Pet Rabbit..

DARK STORM

New Kit
I'm getting increasingly concerned about the rabbit next door.. he hasn't been looked after properly in nearly 2 months. The first time was 3 weeks, when he wasn't fed/watered by owner, who buggered off for 3 weeks, and 'forgot' about him..
The day before I was going to report them, they returned.. 2 weeks past.. the care of this rabbit is appalling:censored: His bed hasn't been changed in 6 weeks, he hasn't been fed properly, and now his water bottle has 'disappeared':evil:
They 'disappeared' again last night, leaving him with no water, food, bedding.. we are going to report him tomo whatever as his last rabbit FROZE to death 2 winters ago:censored:

WE HAVE GIVEN THE POOR ANIMAL A NEW BOTTLE WITH WATER, FOOD AND VEG.. I CAN NOT STAND BY AND LET HIM SUFFER:(

If any one knows of anybody near Glossop who'll take this rabbit (don't even think they'd realize he was missing).. please send them this way:wave:

Last edited:
AWWW what cruel :censored:. I would take him if i lived nearer:(. Would they not let you have him if you asked in an aroundabout way. He's obviously unwanted/unloved/and must live in a very dirty hutch:evil::evil:. Please try and save this poor unloved bun.:cry::cry:

If you have concerns about this poor rabbit, then surely the correct way to deal with it would be to contact the RSPCA? They have a 24 hour service, and if I were you, I would ring the number right now. I would imagine no-one can just go there and take the rabbit? The RSPCA would offer you advice - maybe you could ask them that if there is likely to be any delay in getting someone out to check up on him, should you take him in yourself until they can get there? Poor bunny sounds like he needs help and fast.

Are you concerned about the welfare of an animal?

To report a mistreated, neglected, injured or distressed animal, please call our cruelty line:

0300 1234 999
This is a 24-hour service.

Read our cruelty checklist to help you identify the information we may ask for when you call.

They have a new baby, so I can only assume the owner is distracted.. we searched for the bottle, and it's no where to be seen:?.. We have been feeding the rabbit (when they're not there), and he's become more friendly, as I don't think he's been handled very much (nervous), he's started coming to the front of the hutch looking for the goodies I bring (tonight feed - rabbit mix, water, carrots and some lettuce along with some of Pets at Home dried dandelions).. Oh, when it comes to food, my little furries are well fed;)..
We've been monitoring the situation for the last few weeks, hoping the owner would see sense, but this latest disappearing act, has left the rabbit with no food or water and has gone too far:censored:
RSPCA tomo.. whether they've come back or not, I no longer care.. Rabbit comes first..

HI there:D it's a pity there isn't a guinea pig forum here, I'd be on here nearly as much as NR:lol:

I am sure RU has a sister site for guinea pig people :D :wave:, I don't have a clue what it is though lol (I don't have any guinea's I am HIGHLY alergic :()

but someone will know what it is & let you know I'm sure :D

I am sure RU has a sister site for guinea pig people :D :wave:, I don't have a clue what it is though lol (I don't have any guinea's I am HIGHLY alergic :()

but someone will know what it is & let you know I'm sure :D

Thanks:D I've had piggies for over 10 years now, and they're fascinating beasties.. I think mine are as tame as they come.. Thumpa my one and only Rabbit, used to dance around my legs.. he was lovely:D

Hi, I may be able to help, if you call me on the mobile number on my website, preferable tomoz as I am up near Glossop. I am good at persuaision (just cant spell it!)

Hi, I may be able to help, if you call me on the mobile number on my website, preferable tomoz as I am up near Glossop. I am good at persuaision (just cant spell it!)

They're never in, that's the problem.. 3 weeks last time, and they're gone again:? How long do i have to leave it before I can do something about it?

Will you call the RSPCA?

Tomo when I get up.. he's ok for tonight, got plenty of food/water, and will explain everything to them when they arrive.. also leaving a note on hutch door and house door explaining that neglect is only going to cause them trouble:censored:

Glad im not the only one with the 'repeata-post' option on their pc's enabled tonight :)

LOL I know, it had this little spinning ring thing when I clicked "submit reply" and it wouldn't go away, so I shut my browser down - seems it has a mind of its own (looks like I was being really impatient for a response :lol:)

Looking forward to a happy ending for this bunny :D

Not to worry, will let you know as soon as bunny moves to greener pastures.. Question is.. how can I take action when I don't know where the owner has gone, or how long?? Can the RSPCA just take the rabbit and leave a letter??

Not to worry, will let you know as soon as bunny moves to greener pastures.. Question is.. how can I take action when I don't know where the owner has gone, or how long?? Can the RSPCA just take the rabbit and leave a letter??

i would assume so, in a case of neglect, if the poor bun has been left there to fend for itself, i would hope the RSPCA can take the bun, but i dont know what the laws are about trespassing etc.

if the bun hasn't got water, food & is in filthy conditions I am sure they can just take the bun ?

correct me if I'm wrong :)

GrahamL;Do you thikn the RSPCA would do anything?:roll:

I would hope so :shock: Presumably nobody else can just waltz in there and take the rabbit without facing possible prosecution? They obviously receive thousands of calls concerning neglected and abandoned rabbits, but at least a call to them will find out the best course of action to take without getting anyone into trouble in the first instance.

Back