• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Fox Reminder

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Just to remind everyone that in late September/October fox families start to break up with the males and females dispersing and trying to carve out new territories for themselves. During this time areas which have been 'fox free' may suddenly find themselves with random foxes or some areas have two or more competing foxes. They will also be hungry as they compete.

Be aware that this is a danger time for your buns.

So a few hints:

Check all your bolts, hinges, nails, etc are all still firm after the long summer and no corners have been nibbled thin or runs undermined by tunelling buns.

Check any foxwatches (sonic deterrents) have new batteries and are fully working (after a year or so many need new switches or the lenses cleaned - send them back to the manufacturer for servicing);

Think about fitting other deterrents if possible (electric fences etc)

Consider using some of the scented spray which mimics fox urine to put off any new foxes thinking of moving in to vacant territory (male urine really doesn't work as well if the fox is used to humans)

Don't let the earlier nights catch you out and ensure buns are in bed promptly - but don't forget dispersing foxes may also follow different patterns and be around in the day

If you can - move hutches inside of enclosed aviary 'runs' or sheds so there are two levels of protection between the fox and your rabbits.

Beating the fox relies on being constantly alert and upgrading, renewing and 'servicing' your foxproofing!! And don't forget: A bolt is only as good as the person who is shutting it every night!!!

Thank you for that info - I didn't know about foxes moving to new patches, but it makes sense that the young find their own territories.

Thanks for that! Just reminded me that theres one area of wire that I wanted to reinforce. Will get that sorted!!:)

Thank you, some useful info there I was not aware of. I have a couple of minor repairs that need sorting so that will be my priority for today. :D

Just wanting to commiserate & wish everyone well with their fox proofing.
There are aspects of being a bun mum here that are more tricky than the UK but mercifully we do not have foxes in the equation.
I get a chill even thinking about the worry you guys go through in this regard.

I have loads of foxes in my area and last winter my garden was a cut through so I will be on fox watch and use some of your tips to try and deter them. Scary thing is when it snowed last year there were paw prints right round my hutch! Luckily buns were indoors

Check any foxwatches (sonic deterrents) have new batteries and are fully working (after a year or so many need new switches or the lenses cleaned - send them back to the manufacturer for servicing);Think about fitting other deterrents if possible (electric fences etc)

That's interesting, I didn't know you could send them back for servicing, any idea how much they charge? or would it be more cost effective to just replace it?

That's interesting, I didn't know you could send them back for servicing, any idea how much they charge? or would it be more cost effective to just replace it?

So far mine have always been servced for free - but I expect with older ones there may be a small charge. As they are expensive to buy (£50 ish for the good ones) then I would expect a service charge to be considerably smaller than that.

Good advice. I have spent all day making night time doors for one of my set ups.. I might post piccies if anyone is interested?

Good advice. I have spent all day making night time doors for one of my set ups.. I might post piccies if anyone is interested?

Yes please..... this job is on my to do list for tomorrow! Along with buying a padlock for the hinged lid of hutch and steel brackets to reinforce the hutch floor. :?

Thanks for the useful info Twigs. I've cross posted to my Facebook rescue group to help spread the word. Excellent info.

Back