• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch size confusion

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I understand the RSPCA require a 6ft x 2ft hutch (I have actually been told its 6ft x 3ft now) which is 12 sq ft. Would a two storey 5ft x 2ft hutch not be better as thats 20 sq ft? :?

I have a two storey 5 foot hutch, and to be honest it hasn't worked out that well. :( A rabbit breeder happened to visit just after I got the hutch and told me my rabbit might break his back on the stairs, so I took them out meaning to introduce them under supervision. For various reasons (ranging from good weather meaning my bunny is outside a lot to me breaking my arm) it hasn't happened. I feel really guilty because my otherwise rather spoilt rabbit is at the moment living in conditions that don't meet the standards of RWA and most rescues.

I think it very much depends on the overall arrangements for housing and exercise. 5*2 double storey isn't really 20sq feet because there is a hole for the ramp so it loses some space in the top floor, and the bottom floor also has the bottom of the ramp breaking up the space. Between them, this means that neither floor has the full size full hopping space, so the single storey 6*2 actually has more 'useable' space even if it is smaller overall. The hole also means that it is harder to make it cosy in winter because there is always a hole in the floor and a place for bedding to fall out of!

I say 'it depends' because some bunnies like ramps and having interest over 2 floors (indeed some will use one 'dark' compartment for toileting and one for snuggling), whereas some will be happier with a more open space on one floor. Ramps can also become more problematic as bunnies get older and some bunnies don't cope with ramps at all regardless of their age.

Ideally if there is an attached run, I think it matters less because there is more space permanently available. If a run is not permanently attached, I think it very much depends on the bunnies and how they prefer to use the space :)

Is the run attached to the front of the hutch or below it (i.e. is there a hole in the bottom of the 5ft hutch? Would they get any other exercise time?)

On face value I'd say it's better than most bunnies get as a base but it's not ideal - 5ft as a hutch gives less indoor space and 5ft outdoors doesn't really allow them to run properly, it would really only allow about 3 hops in any ond direction - so while it gives them space to move about, stretch and relax, it doesn't really give them space to run and exercise.

So would a single story 5ft x 2ft hutch with an attached 5ft x 5ft run be acceptable for 2 medium rex bunnies?

The hutch would probably be ok at a push but the run would be a bit small ideal is 6ft x 4ft as a minimum. Although the square footage is similar the 6x4 gives a bit more length for a few hops in a row

Aah I see. Its the length that is important not just the sq footage. In the garden they used to have a 10ft x 4ft run and I have to admit they did seem to love it more than when I had a 6ft x 4ft run with another run tagged on the side. I have moved them into the summer house for the winter. (I know its only September!!) So, am trying to give them as much space in there when the weather is bad.
So, a single 6ft x 2ft hutch with an attached 6ft x 4ft run would be better?
What about those hutches that sit on top of the run with a ladder down to the run? I suppose you are losing floor space in the hutch though.

Aah I see. Its the length that is important not just the sq footage. In the garden they used to have a 10ft x 4ft run and I have to admit they did seem to love it more than when I had a 6ft x 4ft run with another run tagged on the side. I have moved them into the summer house for the winter. (I know its only September!!) So, am trying to give them as much space in there when the weather is bad.
So, a single 6ft x 2ft hutch with an attached 6ft x 4ft run would be better? Yes
What about those hutches that sit on top of the run with a ladder down to the run? I suppose you are losing floor space in the hutch though you do a bit but if they have permanent access to the run its not so bad.

If they are in the summer house could they have free range in there? Or an area sectioned off with their hutch in to come and go as they please?

I have actually got 4 rabbits. Elvis and Amber are paired and Jake and Sam were. Sam was a girl but is now a boy and just been castrated. So, hoping to pair them up again in a few weeks.
I would love to let them have the whole space (its 5m x 4m) but in the past havnt been able to bond them all. Elvis and Jake fight even though they've both been done.
It has also been full of life!! I have just bought a bike shed for the bikes and have cleared as much stuff out. There are shelves down one side and a work bench down another side and a half (its also my gardening room) but everything of danger to rabbits is put out of the way.
So I cant really partition any area off but I want to try and put as big a runs in as I can. If they are in the summer house do they need large hutches as well. For example if I was able to get a couple of 7ft x 4ft runs in there could they have a small hutch in the run as a hideaway?

I have actually got 4 rabbits. Elvis and Amber are paired and Jake and Sam were. Sam was a girl but is now a boy and just been castrated. So, hoping to pair them up again in a few weeks.
I would love to let them have the whole space (its 5m x 4m) but in the past havnt been able to bond them all. Elvis and Jake fight even though they've both been done.
It has also been full of life!! I have just bought a bike shed for the bikes and have cleared as much stuff out. There are shelves down one side and a work bench down another side and a half (its also my gardening room) but everything of danger to rabbits is put out of the way.
So I cant really partition any area off but I want to try and put as big a runs in as I can. If they are in the summer house do they need large hutches as well. For example if I was able to get a couple of 7ft x 4ft runs in there could they have a small hutch in the run as a hideaway? Yes definately that would give them somewhere to cuddle and, if they are anything like mine, something to sit on

They've got a 2ft x2ft hideaway attached to their run in the garden but they hardly ever use it. Amber goes in it if it rains and I put their hay in it. I am wandering if they'll use the big hutch if they have a big run. If there was a choice is it better to have a big run or a big hutch. Would the hideaway be okay as a permanent hutch in the summer house?

If there was a choice is it better to have a big run or a big hutch.

Again I'd say 'it depends'. Am I understanding correctly that the runs will be indoors in the summer house? In which case I think a smaller shelter would be ok because their entire accommodation will keep them away from bad weather - they will just need somewhere as a 'bolt hole' to allow them to feel secure and to snuggle down into if it gets very cold.

If they are outside I would say that a bigger hutch is important as they need to have plenty of sheltered space. Even though yours don't really use the shelter you have in the runs I don't think that's a good indication of what they would use. Maybe they don't use it because it's not big enough and they don't feel able to use it as an area to relax, eat and toilet? Or maybe they just like sitting in the run and wouldn't use it even if you had a large hutch.

So I think what setup to have really depends on the individual circumstances.

They've got a 2ft x2ft hideaway attached to their run in the garden but they hardly ever use it. Amber goes in it if it rains and I put their hay in it. I am wandering if they'll use the big hutch if they have a big run. If there was a choice is it better to have a big run or a big hutch. Would the hideaway be okay as a permanent hutch in the summer house?

Personally I think it depends on the rabbits, their personality, their age, their health ect. Keep in mind though your rabbits may be young and energetic now, when they get older they may prfer to be inside in the warmth, therefor need more indoor space. I would say decent size hutch (5-6ft) and then a big run. If you only have a 5ft hutch I would say to have something like an 8-10ft run

I've had a measure and the space I've got to work with is 5ft wide x 7ft long. So, 7ft is a good length but I've got to take of 2 or 3 ft for the depth of the hutch. So, from the back of the hutch to the end of the run will be 7foot. Is that okay?

Would that mean you had a 5ft x 2ft hutch with a 5ft x 5ft run?

I personally wouldn't keep rabbits in that, but others might. I don't feel that they would have enough room to hop as they should, 5ft is about 2 hops for my dutch rabbit.

Back