• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cecotrophs Q's?

Livi

Alpha Buck
Rusty does normal poos, but has today done about 6 slightly different ones....upon googling rabbit poos etc :lol: it appears they are very similar in looks to Cecotrophs....Which I have read they sometimes eat?

Well he hasnt eaten any, and has done about 5 or 6 today while in the run (has been out there approx 8 hours now)...Is there a reason he is passing these? Could it be that they are not Cecotrophs? and just because he has had a lot of fresh grass today and also tried a strawberry for the first time yesterday?

Just a tad concerned, although they arent overly loose stools or anything really urgent.x

Rabbits always pass cectrophs and they should eat them straight from their bum

Reasons for them not to do so include a diet too high in carbohydrates/protein, introduction of a new foodstuff (which may unbalance the bacteria in the cecum making the cecotrophs smell/taste 'wrong'), dental problems, obesity, arthritic pain, stress.

At a guess I'd say the strawberry is the culprit here.

Known as NIGHT POOPS too...:wave:
Medication also will change the poops, but like Jane,strawberry is the culprit, me thinks!!

I agree I think the strawberry is the culprit so probably best to avoid them from now on.
The best thing to do when they have excess ceacals is to increase fibre as much as possible to get the gut back on track so lots of hay and fresh grass (if they are used to it).
Obviously if it continues then a trip to the vets would be in order.

Back