• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone use the trixie wooden hideout's with lockable doors?

After yesterdays heartache (see 'fox' thread ) I'm not happy leaving Lola in her run unattended at all, lid or not. I'm in almost all day everyday, apart from nipping out for the school run in the afternoon, so i was wondering about these lockable hides? The plan being to put Lola in the run each morning, but shut her in the hide for just to 20-30 minutes when i'm on the school run in the afternoon? With the baby getting out on time is hard enough anyway, without needing to catch her, put her back in hutch, get covered in fur, then get her back out once we get back with 3 kids in tow etc.... if i have to do that it is going to be really difficult giving her as much run time and it's something i want to avoid if at all possible? Would it be okay?

I haven't got outdoor bunnies but I am sure it should be ok for half an hour. Hopefully someone with a bit more run savvy will be a long soon:)

Can you give us a link to the sort of thing you mean, I'm finding it hard to visualise.

If they're what I'm thinking of, I have one and I wouldn't lock a bunny up in it for any length of time. As bluebunny said, it's not big enough and pitch black.

It would probably be just as easy to herd Lola into a carrier (and then back into her hutch) when you go out, as it would be to get her into the hideout though. :)

I've got one, and wouldn't be too keen on locking them in it even for half an hour, they might panic if not used to being locked in a small space.

If they're what I'm thinking of, I have one and I wouldn't lock a bunny up in it for any length of time. As bluebunny said, it's not big enough and pitch black.

Ditto - also, if it is the sort of thing I'm thinking of, it's not foxproof anyway so if the fox could break into the run, the bun would not be safe in the box. The floor can easily be pushed out, the door can easily be opened and the lid just flips up.

Ditto - also, if it is the sort of thing I'm thinking of, it's not foxproof anyway so if the fox could break into the run, the bun would not be safe in the box. The floor can easily be pushed out, the door can easily be opened and the lid just flips up.

We might all be thinking of the wrong thing. :lol::lol: I've been trying to find a link to show what I mean but can't. :?

But, yes, everything pointed out above is very true. Dh nailed the floor down as the buns could pull it up and go out of the bottom. :roll:

The door & lid would need a lock to make it more secure (but it would still be too small and dark.) It's also quite light, so I could imagine a fox easily overturning it.

Just found a (very small) photo of mine; the green box in the front right corner of the run.

DSCF7762700x525.jpg

Is that what you meant? They're very useful as a general hideout, or for the buns to sit on the roof (or hide underneath) but not very secure unfortunately.

No definately not for the hides i have that are by trixie out in the yard, i would also leave in a carrier, that would be safer- I'd be worried about air circulation.

Ambience xx

I have one, both my buns love laying on it for their afternoon nap but only one will actually venture inside. I wouldn't want to shut a bunny in it for anytime. As has already been said - very dark and small. Think bun would be scared. I know they make two different sizes but even so think the probs would be the same.:wave:

Back