• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zithromax for E.C

karen354

Warren Veteran
Well I'm on vet number 2 now and still not getting anywhere with Cookies E.C treatment :cry:
The first vet didn't have a clue when it came to buns and was ready to give up on him after a couple of days :(
I then travelled quite away to another very good vet who did save Cookie's life because when Cookie got to him he was very poorly he was dehydrated.
The results came back for Cookie and he does have E.C, so far he's only been treated with steroids and panacur nothing else with this vet.
Theres been no improvement with Cookies head tilt in the last 4 weeks, he is still rolling and struggles to balance.
Cookie was seen on Thursday and my vet has taken him off all meds :shock: he said he's researched e.c when he lived in Germany and this is the way they treat E.C in buns.

Should I email my vet again or look for yet another vet ?
I want Cookie on Zithromax and Stemetil and should I carry on with panacur even though has been on it for 28 days ?

Last edited:
The results came back for Cookie and he doesn have E.C,

Just to clarify first, are you saying the bloods show that he DOES NOT have EC :?

Zithromax wont treat EC but it will treat a bacterial middle ear infection (otitis media). Otitis media can cause all the symptoms Cookie has. Also, *if* he has had corticosteroids without abx cover and he has otitis media then there is great potential for the infection to be exacerbated. Whilst corticosteroids are good anti-inflammatories they are also immunosuppressant. So *if* there is bacterial infection then corticosteroids can potentially make things worse

Last edited:
Yes, I was a bit baffled too - I read it that he doesn't have EC, but is still being treated for it. :?

Just to clarify first, are you saying the bloods show that he DOES NOT have EC :?

Zithromax wont treat EC but it will treat a bacterial middle ear infection (otitis media). Otitis media can cause all the symptoms Cookie has. Also, *if* he has had corticosteroids without abx cover and he has otitis media then there is great potential for the infection to be exacerbated. Whilst corticosteroids are good anti-inflammatories they are also immunosuppressant. So *if* there is bacterial infection then corticosteroids can potentially make things worse

Sorry Jane. Cookie does have E.C.

Back