• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheapest timothy hay?

Lottie999

Warren Scout
Hi RU'ers

Where is the cheapest place to get decent Timothy Hay from? And im guessing the P@H brand isnt actually that good?

Thankies :wave:

from p@h i get the one with dandelion and stuff in. but when tabby was ill i invested in the £7.99 one and they love that! they won't be having it often, though. i use all kinds of hays and mix them, so that they have a good reason to dig about and find a tasty bit!

Yea I bought a bag of the Alfalfa King Timothy Hay - didnt realise the price til I got it to the till! I have been tempted by some of the excel stuff, but Poppy has had a history of a sticky bum when she's eaten new hay, however touch wood at the moment her poops are perfect! Might bob along to P@H and have a shoofty :p

have just spent £50 in p@h :shock: as the excel stuff was on offer. Also got some more alfalfa king but they don't seem that keen on it. i just keep giving them some as its much more stalky than any of the other hay and hoping that they eat some of it. They do like the excel with marigold though, they are at it before I can get it out of the bag :roll:

Dust free hay all the way :)its dust extracted, fresh smell and green.... A small sack is three pounds if you collect, or 3.99 from the website including delivery when buyin a five sack bundle. Its compressed so easy to store and fills an eighty litre bin - the ones used before wheely bins came along. Its a million times better than farm or anything at pah. And certainly no risk of mites with the suction it goes through! My eight buns all get so excited over it, prefer it to oxbow and more or less clear their hanging baskets which are mounded high twice daily. I wouldn't use anything else. Its also in decent lengths unless we have a bad growing year where its a bit shorter, but its length makes less mess and waste when filling up baskets and racks. The pah and excel are made from the same stuff at the same place. Difference being the pah bags are the poorer quality left overs from excel. We were given a free sample and it stank of mould spores. It got took back as there is no way I would use the junk :) Its a mix of hays which is why it varies by batch is mostly yellow and brown, and its chopped short to allow ease of mixing as proper length hay tangles in the machinery. Also very dusty! Sorry for the long post, but thought I would share what I learned from my three year use of dust free hay. I worry what I will do if norman retires from there lol hay panic!

DFH isn't all timothy hay though is it? Unless you buy the Timothy hay box. I find DFH really expensive and short and the buns don't like it as much as the bales.

As for timothy hay. I get the Alfalfa King stuff from Hay Experts. I've only got one bag so far but I'll be getting more!

Dust free hay all the way :)its dust extracted, fresh smell and green.... A small sack is three pounds if you collect, or 3.99 from the website including delivery when buyin a five sack bundle. Its compressed so easy to store and fills an eighty litre bin - the ones used before wheely bins came along. Its a million times better than farm or anything at pah. And certainly no risk of mites with the suction it goes through! My eight buns all get so excited over it, prefer it to oxbow and more or less clear their hanging baskets which are mounded high twice daily. I wouldn't use anything else. Its also in decent lengths unless we have a bad growing year where its a bit shorter, but its length makes less mess and waste when filling up baskets and racks. The pah and excel are made from the same stuff at the same place. Difference being the pah bags are the poorer quality left overs from excel. We were given a free sample and it stank of mould spores. It got took back as there is no way I would use the junk :) Its a mix of hays which is why it varies by batch is mostly yellow and brown, and its chopped short to allow ease of mixing as proper length hay tangles in the machinery. Also very dusty! Sorry for the long post, but thought I would share what I learned from my three year use of dust free hay. I worry what I will do if norman retires from there lol hay panic!

Hmmm I've never found it dusty, and mine is always green and smells great (I'm always tempted to have a nibble myself :oops:) Maybe its because I don't get it from pets@home the local pet shop sells it and that where I normally go :)

I've just measured my dust free hay lol the longest strand I could find was twelve inches :) it's definitely timothy he does a few diffirent types so may be there is a non timothy short version? His barn is full of different bags coarse soft etc. He also does a cheaper version in green see thru bags. On the cost front it's stalkier than the stuff I see at farms round by us, thats why I use it.... Less money on tooth and tum issues long term it works out cheaper. Some pet shops do sell some nice hay but for buyin quality in bulk in this area there is none! It took us two years to find a good supply and even now I travel quite far a field to various pet feed suppliers and still feel that the quality isn't up to my current hay standards lol. But everybun is different. The stuff dfh throw out is Better than pah hay lol.
:wave:

If you get very lucky you might find a local farm who sells it in bales - you do have to watch the quality though as if they harvest it wet it is more likely to go mouldy than regular hay.

I've just measured my dust free hay lol the longest strand I could find was twelve inches :) it's definitely timothy he does a few diffirent types so may be there is a non timothy short version? His barn is full of different bags coarse soft etc. He also does a cheaper version in green see thru bags. On the cost front it's stalkier than the stuff I see at farms round by us, thats why I use it.... Less money on tooth and tum issues long term it works out cheaper. Some pet shops do sell some nice hay but for buyin quality in bulk in this area there is none! It took us two years to find a good supply and even now I travel quite far a field to various pet feed suppliers and still feel that the quality isn't up to my current hay standards lol. But everybun is different. The stuff dfh throw out is Better than pah hay lol.
:wave:

I would measure one of my stalks from the bale but they've eaten it all :lol: and I can't be bothered just yet to refill the tub. I know I've had bits in it that have measured from my hip to the floor. :shock: Maybe my sack of DFH wasn't as good as they usually are cos the bits were only a few inches long.

Anyway the buns prefer it and it saves me money so I'm sticking with my bale. The only problem with it for me is the dust but I shake it out outside and that gets rid of nearly all the dust. The chaff left in the bottom of the tub is pretty similar to the chaff left when I tried DFH.

Back