• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just had spay surgery-and hopped out of the pen!

LloydFerris

Warren Scout
I'm just mortified!
Clover was just spayed a day and a half ago and I can't imagine the pain she must feel. When I brought her home, I placed her in an exercise pen to recover. I reduced the size of the pen so that she would not have room to dart about thereby increasing her chances at a speedy recovery....but she JUMPED OUT! :shock: I wasn't expecting this as she hadn't ever jumped that high before, but she hasn't been penned at all since she was a baby. I stupidly assumed she wouldn't even think of trying to jump out as her tummy would be too sore for her to even try. I'm so angry with myself! It didn't help that as soon as Lloyd saw she was out he thought he could greet her with a "hello there" hump! Well, as soon as poor Clover saw Lloyd charging to greet her she bolted and the chase was on. I couldn't catch either of them, I was too frightened to grab her having just had surgery....it was awful. I was lucky enough to corral Clover in the eating area (which is surrounded by an ex-pen on three sides) and capture her there while I dug out and cleaned a cage I had bought for bonding purposes.
I tried to be as gentle and also as firm as I could be when picking her up to place her in the cage, but she still kicked and thrashed about. The second I got the cage top closed I burst into tears.
Her incision isn't bleeding or anything like that, but I still can't imagine the pain she is in. :cry: And now the poor little girl is in a cage. A CAGE!!!
Only moments ago I remembered that I had bought NIC cubes last Xmas to keep the buns from the gifts under the tree, so I will build her an enclosure that has a top on it for her to recover in.
Sorry, all. This post was more of a selfish opportunity to vent than anything else.

when lucy had her spay she kept leaping onto things and bashing her tummy off the edge of her toilet etc and I felt sad each time she did it too :(

Sure she will be fine... Its awful to keep them cooped up for a few days in a tiny cage when they are used to space.

I have to keep noodle in a small cage for two weeks when she had her leg off, the cage was about 2.5ft x 1ft.... it was heartbreaking

speedy recovery vibes:love:

Your not the only one, Leuki had hers on wednesday. The minute she got home she was hopping around the kitchen trying to squeeze into tiny spaces I was expecting her to not move. then I put her in a confined space and she was hopping up high. So I then had to confine her to a small hutch (I hated having to do that. It's not nice to have to do it to them, but your not doing it to be cruel and she will get over it and forgive you I'm sure!!

Back