• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Breeding, what do you think??

daniels86

New Kit
I got my rabbit Poppy from a couple who had bred two sets of rabbits. When i turned up to collect her from their home, they had too many rabbits to count, there were three or four rabbits being kept together in small hutches, they were very dirty and looked mal-nourished and they openly admitted that they had no idea how hard it would be and they couldn't cope. I took her home and although very timid at first she has become a part of the family, she is great with my two young children and is very content, she loves being handled and enjoys running around the garden. This is a succes story but i wonder how many of the other rabbits they gave away went to a good home?? I know for sure that at least one didn't. My friend went and got one from them also, however she didn't think it through properly. She didn't know how to bond with it and didn't let it out to exercise it. A few months ago she went into hospital for an operation, i went to collect her rabbit to look after it for her. When i saw it, the hutch and the poor rabbit were ina sorry state. The hutch had nothing in it but droppings, the rabbit had no food or water, infact the water bottle was just covered in mould. It was obveous that this poor little creature had been forgotten about. My friend said that she didn't want her rabbit back and asked us to care for it. But I didn't have the time to spend that the rabbit needed, she needed a lot of help, she was extremely timid and aggressive and having two kids, my own rabbit, a hamster and two guinea pigs i knew i couldn't look afte it! So this rabbit went to a pet sanctuary. These sanctuaries are over run with rabbits with simialr sad stories. I cried when i left her at the sanctuary, i felt as though i'd let her down but the man reassured me i did the right thing. That is not a success story however, this happens to a lot of rabbits that come from irresponsible breeders!!!! :cry:

Hello and welcome to RU

Sadly this happens a lot and is one of the reasons this forum is linked to a rescue rehoming site :D

It is really sad!! I was given Elvis by a friend who couldnt look after him any more. I was his 3rd home. I was only a temporary stop until she found someone else to have him. I fell in love with him and kept him. I wanted another rex so I went to a breeder. She had a large shed where she kept them. I walked in and there were rows and rows of rabbits that she'd bred. They were clean but in small hutches. They never went outside to run in a run!! I didnt know what to say.
I wanted a female for Elvis and the only one they had had babies but they said I could have them all. It had all got out of hand for the lady.
In the end I was advised to have a boy (I know now that this was not good advice - I have learnt alot!!).
I know breeding rabbits is appealing but there are so many out there that need loving homes.
I felt so sorry for all those rabbits left in their tiny cages.
Why are breeders not required to have the RSPCA minimum cages? Rabbit breeding should be licensed.

I don't have a problem with breeding as long as they are not bred too often, and kept in decent sized hutches. In some ways, getting from a good breeder is lovely because they stay in touch, ask about the bunny, and they are always there for advice. I'm still in touch with my last bunnies breeder, and sent her photos right up till Rosie died in Feb, 8 years after me buying her, they remembered her all through those years, and they cried too when she died. That's a good breeder.

Sadly, yours was not :(

Theres loads of bad breeders here in Leeds/Yorkshire, i was looking at one today (website) with his 'excellent' 3ft hutches or 4ft with their young.
It breaks my heart.

This is a photograph taken only this week of the accomodation being provided by a breeder. It clearly demonstrates what happens when things get out of control http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=243370&highlight=lymington, sadly situations like this can be found many times over in the UK.

Many of these breeders supply the pet shop trade as buyers of the rabbits they breed never have to see where they came from. Unfortunately owners ill health, a reduction in animals being bought by pet shops or sold direct from breeders are just one of the many things which can make a breeder who is coping and managing to keep on top of things slip into decline and situations like this can easily result.

Equally rabbits brought from pet shops drive the demand for rabbits from all forms of breeder. Figures from the national survey by Make Mine Chocolate indicate that a high percentage of rabbits entering into rescues have been owned for less than 6 months, this demonstrates that many purchases of rabbits are made on impulse.

It all depends on a) reasons for breeding b) the planning beforehand and c) whether they can emotionally and financially deal with it.
I've met lovely breeders who I'd honestly recommend, because their rabbits are kept in good conditions, spoilt rotten, and are only bred from once maybe twice a year depending on waiting list and go to really nice homes.
My opinion is, without good breeders, we'd eventually run out of rabbits. I also think people should have to apply for a licence with the RSPCA before breeding any animal.

It all depends on a) reasons for breeding b) the planning beforehand and c) whether they can emotionally and financially deal with it.
I've met lovely breeders who I'd honestly recommend, because their rabbits are kept in good conditions, spoilt rotten, and are only bred from once maybe twice a year depending on waiting list and go to really nice homes.
My opinion is, without good breeders, we'd eventually run out of rabbits. I also think people should have to apply for a licence with the RSPCA before breeding any animal.

You have a very unique view Pixie. I think most people who run sanctuaries/rescues, would take the view that they don't want breeders at all.

For my first pet (of my own, we already had a dog but she was there before me), I wanted a rabbit and had my heart set on a nethie. In fact, we had bought a book, "dwarf rabbits" it was called. I really wanted a siamese smoke pearl:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=581

So my parents took me to this rabbit breeder in Eaton Socon near st neots. The buns looked well cared for, they were show rabbits. But bear in mind that at the time, like 20 + years ago, nobody was aware that rabbits should be kept in anything more than a hutch with a bit of time out to exercise in a run or in the house. I think our nearest sanctuary would have been quite a drive away and I doubt they would have had the bun of my dreams.

So that's how we got our first bun. Nowadays I would never buy from a breeder. I'm still hoping to get a lionhead but will wait for one to come up in a rescue. My current two were rescue buns. Widget was almost PTS because she had a prolapsed rectum when she was a baby and I understand Sprocket had snuffles or a woodshavings allergy when he was a baby. :love:

Whilst pet shops and breeders continue to pump out cute baby rabbits which are bought on impulse it is highly unlikely that we will ever run out of rabbits. There will always be incidences of accidental breeding due to missexing and people who feel that they would like their rabbit to have that one litter ... until one part of this never ending cycle is stopped we will always have a supply which is greater than demand.

Whilst the idea of a licence sounds good, however there is no way that this can be adequately policed to ensure that standards would be upheld.

I'm saying for the long run hun. If we cut out all breeding then there will be no rabbits left. But I dont believe in pet shops if you dont know where the rabbits have come from. I believe in rescuing or going to good breeders, and I do have high standards for that.

I do think if people could just stop breeding for so many years, then only selected licensed people bred, then we'd not have so many unwanted bunnies:(

You have a very unique view Pixie. I think most people who run sanctuaries/rescues, would take the view that they don't want breeders at all.

I'm possibly amongst the most open minded people there is :roll: I don't pre-judge, unless it's necessary.

I'm saying for the long run hun. If we cut out all breeding then there will be no rabbits left. But I dont believe in pet shops if you dont know where the rabbits have come from. I believe in rescuing or going to good breeders, and I do have high standards for that.

I do think if people could just stop breeding for so many years, then only selected licensed people bred, then we'd not have so many unwanted bunnies:(

Sorry but I have to disagree with you, as far as I am comcerned there are no good breeders, why on earth anyone would want to breed animals when the country is already over run with them is beyond me, breeders don't care where there animals go so long as they get their money that's all they care about, they don't neuter, they don't vaccinate, they don't homecheck, they rarely use vets, so in my opinion all breeding should be stopped and all breeders should be stopped.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you, as far as I am comcerned there are no good breeders, why on earth anyone would want to breed animals when the country is already over run with them is beyond me, breeders don't care where there animals go so long as they get their money that's all they care about, they don't neuter, they don't vaccinate, they don't homecheck, they rarely use vets, so in my opinion all breeding should be stopped and all breeders should be stopped.

I have a friend who vaccinates all her babies against VHD, uses coxiode and ivomec. Offers life long advice and care will not let her bunnies go to people she does not trust, advices them to death. And, she's pretty much best friends with her vets. The only thing she doesn't do is neuter, and when breeding a rare breed to further the breed it kind of does not help.

I'm just new on here, and I'm not looking to argue the fact that I don't judge a book by it's cover. Just to make friends, learn new things, and help bunnies find loving forever homes.

Im afraid I have to agree with Snowy on this one...... we are already over-run, something has to give. The rescue I volunteer at is having to say no to unwanted animals because she has physically ran out of room and it breaks her heart.

If people cant afford to neuter/vacc their pet then they shouldnt have them,....... IF there was such a thing as a good breeder, they would do the same as any decent rescue and vacc + neuter before they are rehomed, as well as home check. End of.

Im afraid I have to agree with Snowy on this one...... we are already over-run, something has to give. The rescue I volunteer at is having to say no to unwanted animals because she has physically ran out of room and it breaks her heart.

If people cant afford to neuter/vacc their pet then they shouldnt have them,....... IF there was such a thing as a good breeder, they would do the same as any decent rescue and vacc + neuter before they are rehomed, as well as home check. End of.

Just to mention I am pro-rescue here, and like previously said I do wish breeders would just stop if not only for a few years. I just don't believe all breeders are such bad people, or treat their bun's wrongly.

Just to mention I am pro-rescue here, and like previously said I do wish breeders would just stop if not only for a few years. I just don't believe all breeders are such bad people, or treat their bun's wrongly.

Im not saying breeders are horrible, I am saying its selfish and un-needed. I think the same of dog/cat breeders.....Why breed animals, on PURPOSE, when so many already need homes?? And dont plug the whole 'keeping breeds as good as poss' - because its rubbish. I dont care about my rabbits breed.... its weight/size/fur colour means nothing to me, nor should it to anyone else.

Why breed or buy when animals in shelter die??

Im not saying breeders are horrible, I am saying its selfish and un-needed. I think the same of dog/cat breeders.....Why breed animals, on PURPOSE, when so many already need homes?? And dont plug the whole 'keeping breeds as good as poss' - because its rubbish. I dont care about my rabbits breed.... its weight/size/fur colour means nothing to me, nor should it to anyone else.

Why breed or buy when animals in shelter die??

The only problem is the long term affect which is what I'm saying, if we do the whole neuter every bun in sight and stop every single breeder of rabbit then in about 10-20 years domesticated rabbits could become extinct. As well as certain breed's. I myself I'm more of a mixed breed's have more character and look cuter. But it's not the same to everyone else.

Back