• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Constant runny eye

I have a 2 year old male lop that has had one runny eye since he was a few months old. I have taken him to the vets numerous times where he has had his tear duct flushed and his teeth checked. Basically i have been told that one of his teeth is rubbing on his tear duct which is why he has a constant runny eye. The thing is now the fur under his eye right to his nose has all fallen out and it looks very sore and is bleeding. I have bathed it with cooled down boiled salt water to try and stop infection, but is there anything else i can do to help heal this and to help the fur grow back. It looks very sore and he makes it very difficult for me to bathe by struggling it as it is so painful.
Any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Would the vet not prescribe any antiseptic to put under the eye to help it heal quicker? Just a thought, have you tried reducing dust in the hutch from hay etc and trying eye drops? Hope he gets well soon.xx

I would take him back to the Vet as he no doubt needs some additional treatment.

Once the area is cleaned up applying a tiny smear of Vaseline will act as a barrier to the skin. But it is very important to get the Vet to take a look at the sore area first as there may be active infection which would be exacerbated by being 'closed in' with a barrier such as Vaseline.

He could also do with a systemic anti-inflammatory as both elongated tooth roots and acute dermatitis can both be painful :cry:

Thanks for the tips. I have continued bathing it over the weekend and it is looking a little less sore. I am goining to monitor it over the next few days and then maybe take him to the vet again if there's not a big improvement. Thanks for your advice!!:D xx

Back