• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with Part of both ears shaved

weedug

Mama Doe
Any idea why a rabbit would have part of both ears shaved?

The rabbit I want to adopt had about a quarter of each ear almost bald. Didn't look like mites as there was a straight line between fur and bald bit.

Ted had part of both ears shaved when they took his bloods. Before you adopt him deffo find out what the bloods were for ...they're expensive to take, so wouldn't be taken on a whim.

It's possible they were taken, something was found to be wrong, and bun was given up.

Joejoe had both ears shaved when he was on fluids in one ear and anaesthetic/meds in the other ear so maybe it's had some sprt of veterinary treatment, i woudl definitely investigate further

when mine go in for spays ect it is normal for one or both ears to be shaved where they give them drugs in to simulate there guts ect

Could it have been done when he was neutered?

I had a dental bunny who always came back from having dentals - general anaesthetic - with a bald ear, it never really got chance to grow back, bless her.

Cloud came back from the vet after her biopsy with one ear shaved. My Mum picked her up from the vet but apparently she was told it was where they put a fluid line in to make her more stable under anaesthetic.

I should think he had his ears shaved whilst he was in for his neuter. :wave:

I think it could be any kind of op - when Alfie had his leg pinned he had both ears shaved. Took absolutely ages to grow back too.

I would have said it was because of his neutering, but I've just had my male at the same vet for neutering, and buns spayed there before, and their ears weren't shaved.

He is still a young bun. I would say he was about the year old that they say he is. Might be because his "bits" were in a bit of a mess after a fight.

He sees the vet again on Monday, and I've already asked them to get an explanation about his ears.

The only time I've had a bun get their ears shaved was when they were PTS :cry:

my buns had ears shaved when :

Earl had fluids overnight due to stasis

Noodle had her leg amputated...

when I have had buns speyed/ neutered, the op is short so my vets dont shave the ears so prob dont need to then

Back