• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok to just have a bowl

As the title says really. Is it ok for my rabbits to just have a water bowl? I absolutly hate all the water bottles we've ever had! They've always been leaky and difficult to clean really well.

As long as the bowl holds enough water is that ok? x

Yes but you need to make sure Bun cant tip the bowl up, that they dont fill it with bedding and if outdoor Buns that it doesn't freeze over in winter xx

My rabbit won't use a bottle - although I bought him one exactly the same as he had with his previous owner. He used it about 3 times in the first 2 weeks, and the water level hardly changed. He doesn't drink much either, but the vet said he shows no signs of dehydration and that some rabbits get most of the liquid they need from their veg. He does have a habit of putting his toys in the bowl though, so you do need to keep an eye on it. :wave:

My buns just have a bowl, I check it about 5 times a day to make sure its not been tipped over.

Yes but you need to make sure Bun cant tip the bowl up, that they dont fill it with bedding and if outdoor Buns that it doesn't freeze over in winter xx

This.

Mine only have a bowl but very large and it's far from their litter tray and also indoors so can't freeze.

Mylo used to have a bottle but we got him a new living area and the bottle didnt fit on properly, so we tried him with a bowl and he used it fine straight away. At first I had a bowl and bottle and then when i knew he wasnt using the bottle I took it away. He looks very cute when hes using it cos he gets water all round his little face!

Twig and Noodle have both, but when they are shut in at night they only have a bowl because there is nowhere to clip a bottle inside the hutch...

Earl just has a bowl.

Theo and Cleo dont drink I swear....but they have the option of both. and they rarely eat veg so not sure how they survive...

Lucy has both now but prefers bowl.

Absolutely! A bowl that is solid, on the heavy side and wide at the base (like me! hahahaha!) would be best. My buns have one like this and haven't ever tipped it.

My two just have a big bowl. I don't think they can tip it up because its so big/heavy compared to them

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm not too worried at the moment about the water freezing and as of october they will have a wendy house so hopefully that will help it to stay at room temp :wave:

Oh and its a heavy bowl, they don't have the strength to tip it :)

My two have bowls.

They have two bowls each which aren't easy to tip over and I make sure they have 2 incase for some reason when I am at work they manage to tip one over. But it hasn't happened yet and I am confident that the bowls they have are sturdy enough so it won't happen.

Back