• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

omg he had a massive seizure :( /UD spoke to vet

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
whilst typing a post i stoped to scruffle berties fur on his back end like a dog which we do a lot..he was best pals with a dog so he likes being petted too.....

but suddenly he began fitting.
he did this about three months ago now...but not as long as this.

i had to pick him up and put him on the settee on my quilt....he was trying to bite his back i swear..he was gnashing his teeth and drooled everywhere.

yes i shouldnt have moved him but he was on the hard floor and he was severely thrashing around:(

one point he seemed to stop...and he felt like he was slipping away...omg

he recovered and suddenly got up and ran down his doggy steps and onto the floor. where he began systematically washing the floor...like he does when you stroke him or comb him.

its odd that both times hes fitted its being scratched gently like that. odder still is we do it to him all the time..it makes him wash himself then he head binkies. so why these two other times has he fitted.?

ill not panic this time but leave a message for our vet 2moro. Then monday make an appt.

im so frickin scared..itll be a week sunday bif was pts.

Last edited:
That sounds really awful. I am glad he seems better now. Hopefully the vet will be able to help. x

Sounds very scary for you both- I've no idea why the scratching should trigger a fit, unless it was sudden or from behind, and startled him. probably worth taking care to approach from where he can see you just in case xx

hes eaten and drank..not been in his litter tray yet tho.

hes come up to me and asked for a nose rub..i even got on the floor beside him and kissed his nose which he was begging for:oops:

im very worried about him.....but am just letting him set the pace..ill just keep watching him.

i know but i recall our vet saying something about you can trigger a nerve hitting it from the back....and cause some weird spasmodic effect. but i said to her,,no this was his whole body..im epileptic..id know a fit alright;)

That sounds really scary and terrible. Hopefully your vet will help your lil guy. Do you think it would help if you could get to him to your vet sooner - just in case. It is a good sign that he is eating and drinking. Hopefully he will use his litter tray soon. xx

OMG that must have been terrifying for you :shock:
Well done for keeping calm and making him safe.
Could it be that he is epileptic, can buns have that? Very strange that the trigger seems to be scratching him on the bum like that :? as siggested already, maybe it startled him and that was the trigger?
Just a thought did he feel particularly warm or cold before or during the fit?
Hope your vet has some answers for you, sending loads of vibes xxxxxx

Our Faithy had a couple of episodes when we rubbed her back (before she decided she liked biting us :roll:).

She didn't have a full fit (I've seen plenty of these), but collapsed on her side and had her legs straight out. Lasted a few moments then she just jumped up again and returned to normal.

She hasn't done it for a while now. Don't know if it's because she gets clapped now rather than rubbed. I rub my other buns though and they don't do it.

ooh interesting....that sounds like the spasms my vet was asking about/telling me about.

i got to speak to her this morning....told her of berties fit...shes made a note of it and she said true epilepsy is rare in rabbits...its usually more EC or pasturella thats spread to or affected the brain.

berties still sneezing but she said its because he cant be cured of it just treat as much as poss. were going to consider perhaps metrnizadole.

hes eating...being nosey..coming into the kitchen and begging for a piece of hard wholemeal toast:)

hes such a lovely old fluffbum:love:

so lets keep fingers crossed no more seizures.

I know that if you scratch a guinea-pig with mites they can fit. Furious licking when stroking a bun can also be a sign of mites. Have a close look at their fur especially along the spine.

really:shock: i never knew that about piggies.

nope....no mites on bertie. I know myself being epileptic i was wondering if my blackouts and fits were caused by lack of oxygen....asthma.....etc

seeing as berties got pasturella.....maybe its the same......they call it an ANOXIC seizure.

Back