• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do other RU members cope leaving the fluffers behind when on holiday?

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
I'm going away soon and I'm starting to worry about leaving the buns/rats/hamster behind. I haven't had a holiday in over 5 years due to health reasons and even though i have people coming in on the morning and evening I'm still worrying. I am leaving money with my mum for emergency vets and to make any hard decisions that should arise. My vet has also opened an account for me so they can treat any problems during working hours. Anything else i need to consider? I'm going to miss them so much their my babies.:love::love::love:

I'm going away soon and I'm starting to worry about leaving the buns/rats/hamster behind. I haven't had a holiday in over 5 years due to health reasons and even though i have people coming in on the morning and evening I'm still worrying. I am leaving money with my mum for emergency vets and to make any hard decisions that should arise. My vet has also opened an account for me so they can treat any problems during working hours. Anything else i need to consider? I'm going to miss them so much their my babies.:love::love::love:

I have no advice!! I hate leaving mine. I make myself do it because it think it's healthy to have a break for a while but I worry sick. Just make sure they ring or text after every visit. My friend takes their pic on her mobile phone and sends me a text saying "hello mummy!" I have ensured my vets does home visits because I wouldn't trust anyone to get them into their carrier. Other than that I just go and worry anyway and it's always good to get home!! I feel your pain!!! :roll:

I don't go on holiday.
If I visit my family in Manchester my buns come with me. I leave my housemate to look after the chins as they're his too and Genghis.
And I'm going away for one whole day at the end of the month... so I'm asking my friend to come over and check the buns for me. :oops:

I trust Lynne through and through lol (Holiday Hutch) - so that makes it much easier. I feel totally confident that she will treat them as though they are her own and so I don't really worry about them. :love:

Though I do miss them..... lots and lots.... evenings are weird without feeding / playing with all the small animals too. But I know that they'll be fine xx

I hate leaving them. I miss them the whole time and wind my OH up going on about them!

I use a fab boarding place, who use my vets and are very lovely! The buns love going there.
I did worry about leaving my Squidgy there, as he was a lone house bun, but she used to bring him in and give him a fuss, and he was always fine.
It is good to get away and to have a break.

I stress...and then stress some more....mainly because I worry no one will see the signs of a not well bunny...you just can only make sure you have people who will make an effort to look after them properly...theres not much more you can do...except worry!:?:)

It sounds like you have good carers lined up - im sure they will be absolutley fine & waiting for treats when you get back - sounds like you really deserve a holiday - so enjoy!:D:wave:

I don't go on holiday. Although I have a friend who could feed the cats for me he has never had buns and I wouldn't ask him to do it for more than one night. I think they would misbehave and be a nightmare to get back in their hutches. I can't afford to pay a petsitter.

I don't really miss holidays as I live near the sea and have a fear of flying so wouldn't go far anyway.

When I had less animals and used to go away I was a nightmare constantly 'phoning to check how they were.

STRESS!!!! I hate it :( I hate disrupting their routine and causing them stress by taking them away from all that is familiar I worry nyself sick and this is the reason I am wide awake now at 3.30am!! I'm going away next week and buns are off to boarding, hate it hate it!!

Whilst I dont particularly like others looking after my animals - I have to go on holiday, or else I would fall to pieces! Everyone needs to get away sometime or other. We usually only go away when we have our annual holiday (1 week a year), though we would love to plan a bigger trip for in the next few years.

I have a couple of options - one is to get a well trusted family member over. I have done this for the past 3 or so years and they house sit and look after the animals. I type up a list of instructions for each kind of animal, and leave details for the vet. I also ring up to check in on everyone once a day which gives us the chance to discuss any weird behaviours the petsitter might have observed etc. I also provide a list of photographs of each animal and their name, so that if they have to go to the vet - they know the name and the vet can then look at previous records for that animal. I pre-prepare all meals and label them, which makes the job easier for the petsitter. I also ensure that there is plenty of supplies to last them the week (hay, litter, pellets, veggies etc).

Alternatively, another albeit expensive option is to have them board. The only place I know of is at the vets - and we calculated that it would cost us upwards of $500 to have the animals in decent size cages for the week. Very costly, but then they are at the vets and get looked over daily so if anything goes wrong they can be treated immediately.

after both my cats caught a bug in kennels that killed them 6 days apart in december 08 i found it very hard to trust anyone with my pets ebony goes to tickenham she went in may and was fine she even learn't to use a water bottle which she couldn't do befor im going away on the 14 and she's goung there again i always say a little prayer in my head i still panic at times but i have to trust them i tell them i'm a nervous bunny mummy but they have lots of there own rabbits who appear happy and healthy

I asked a fellow forum member to watch mine, that was I knew they would be fine...

However when my sister watches them I worry because she doesnt quite understand

I couldnt wait to get back after 5 or 6 days. I was reasonably worry free for the first 4

I get my son to bun sit,even although he's never had rabbits of his own he knows their routines and little ways and can spot problems developing at 20 paces.The only trouble is he has his own place so can only visit mine twice a day [ :( ].I had to leave Ozzie free ranging in the dining room for 10 days as he doesnt like cages or hutches and isnt keen on being outdoors :roll: so I'd imagine problems if he went to boarding. I worry so much when I'm away :oops:

First time we've left Sailor & Foxy. They went to a proper bunny hotel & we've just picked them. They seem absolutely fine but we missed them. Bought them a new name placque to pacify them for leaving them - photos later

Get stressed about leaving them. This year left Murphy with rescue, they kindly said they would have him back for the week, and Peter and Tilly with my mum. But nexy year I don't think she will have them as she is now very elderly and its getting too much for her. I am not too concerned about Murphy and Peter, but Tilly is a major headache because she is subject to tummy troubles: very gassy at times and I am always worried its going to escalate into full blown statis, so don't want to leave her with someone who won't pick up on the signs. Already stressing about it, my Oh keeps mentioning next years hols and I keep side stepping the issue. Oh these rabbits, they take over your life; if you let them:roll:

this is my current worry - going away in 2 weeks time and leaving the buns for the first time. No bunny boarding in Northumberland yet but my ex-dog walker is going to look after them as she does all sorts of animal boarding.
Haven't decided yet if they will go to hers to stay or stay at home and be called on twice a day.
major stressing :shock:

this is my current worry - going away in 2 weeks time and leaving the buns for the first time. No bunny boarding in Northumberland yet but my ex-dog walker is going to look after them as she does all sorts of animal boarding.
Haven't decided yet if they will go to hers to stay or stay at home and be called on twice a day.
major stressing :shock:

I'm not sure how buns deal with being moved, they might go off their food for a bit. It's just easyer for me with 7 buns to have them called on twice daily.
Good luck with the decision.;)

My buns go on a wonderful holiday boarding with a forum member. I know they are in good hands, better than mine probably, so I dont worry about them at all. I do miss them terribly though.

:wave: Hi

We used to take our buns with us to our caravan - folding dog crate, washing up bowl for litter tray, carry crate and lots of time free ranging up and down 'van morning and evening. We have taken our hamsters too.

Now we just leave kids behind with the menagerie - works a treat :lol:.

Back