• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering of cats to be compulsory in Belgium

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
An interesting development in Belgium, driven by an explosion of the cat population.

"The Belgian government has come up with a radical way to deal with the burgeoning cat population – to sterilise all but a select few of the animals within five years.

If it is passed into law, the country will embark on a phased neutering of all cats except exotic pedigrees at the start of next year, and there will be a ban on using corner shops, noticeboards and small ads to get rid of unwanted litters of kittens.

The feline population in Belgium, a country of 11 million people, has increased to an estimated 1.7 million, and the culling of cats has become a daily routine. According to the health ministry, more than 13,000 were killed in animal refuges last year, more than one in three of the country's 37,000 strays.

Initially, all cats in shelters will be sterilised. The next phase imposes neutering on cats from breeders and sellers. Finally, all cat owners will be obliged to have their pets sterilised and registered, costing about €130 for a female cat and €50 for a tom. Breeders and owners of Siamese, Abyssinian and other special pedigrees will be exempted from the new regime."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/03/blegium-plans-to-neuter-cats

Fantastic idea to make neutering complusory. NOt sure about all the details but I think all cats free to roam should be neutered.

they will never be able to enforce it...like the vurfew idea in other countries doesnt work.

i do think that if neutering was cheaper or by a payment scheme the genuine caring cat owners would do it. sadly tho.....too many uncaring cat "owners" esp the ones who make their cats have kittens to sell them for a profit..exist.

and for those who want a kitten but the certain cat charity said no we had to have a big cat as obviously our big rabbit would kill it:shock:
oh yes they really did!:evil:
well at the moment kittens ...moggie kittens are going for £50-£150 each!!!!

im all for getting adult cats from rescues but sometimes kittens are easier for certain set ups.....
ie when youve got housebuns..kittens are easier to teach they say but our old cats were 7yrs old when we got our first housebun and were fine.
but not everyone can take on an eldelry ill cat..pet insurance isnt poss.etc

gods cat culling will become law wont it..oh gods how long before the cat version of myxi or vhd gets out:(

they will never be able to enforce it...like the vurfew idea in other countries doesnt work.

i do think that if neutering was cheaper or by a payment scheme the genuine caring cat owners would do it. sadly tho.....too many uncaring cat "owners" esp the ones who make their cats have kittens to sell them for a profit..exist.

and for those who want a kitten but the certain cat charity said no we had to have a big cat as obviously our big rabbit would kill it:shock:
oh yes they really did!:evil:
well at the moment kittens ...moggie kittens are going for £50-£150 each!!!!

im all for getting adult cats from rescues but sometimes kittens are easier for certain set ups.....
ie when youve got housebuns..kittens are easier to teach they say but our old cats were 7yrs old when we got our first housebun and were fine.
but not everyone can take on an eldelry ill cat..pet insurance isnt poss.etc

gods cat culling will become law wont it..oh gods how long before the cat version of myxi or vhd gets out:(

There are lot's of kittens in rescue too. My local Celia Hammond always has kittens in.

we couldnt get any when we ended up with salem and zuzu...but it was october.

i got mad cos the cat rescue home checker didnt know a thing bout buns...i couldnt make her understand he wasnt going to kill kittens!!!:(

salem and zuzu adored daddy bertie and mummy bif:lol:

now weve lost salem...berties lost without him.......and he misses bif being in the house.........zuzu misses her brother so much...and her bunny mummy bif.
I know cats could be dangerous for rabbits...but rabbits too dangerous for cats!

poor bertie!

Back