• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice catching a rabbit

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
On my way home from my FIL the other day I saw a bunny eating grass at the side of the road. I knew it was a domestic bunny even though my hubby reckons it wasn't:roll: I made him turn around and go back it turns out I was right and it was a beautiful rabbit looked very much like a dutch. I clambered through the bushes to try and catch it and got stung in nettles and thorns which were everywhere. I had some rabbit food in the car because I had just bought my new bun home it came close but not enough to catch it. It then ran off and I couldn't see it anymore. I thought about this poor bunny for days and returned to my FIL again today and there it was again. I am going back tomorrow when I can spend a good effort trying to catch it. But I need to know what is the best way? It is just off a very busy road(you should of seen the looks I had climbing out o the bush:lol:) I really want to catch him/her although it looks very healthy and is obviously coping ok so far.

You need a carrier (obviously) and I would suggest at least one other helper and some panels/light sheets of wood (you need to be able to move them) so that you can corral the rabbit into the carrier.

I've used this method when my two make bids for freedom and it is generally much less stressful for the bunny because you are not trying to pick them up.

Good luck,

FC x

Thanks everyone, I am taking my hubby with me, the problem with using boards to catch him is that they is no room for them. It is a nightmare of a place for a rabbit to be although on the plus side for the rabbit there is lots of places to hide from predators. Even better for me there is a firing range right next to where the rabbit is:shock: I will stay out for as long as I can but I fear as soon as it bolts it has so many places to hide I might not see it again until it is brave enough to venture out again. I would take my daughter because she is small she could get closer but she could well get stung and cut up like I did. I will give it my best effort and keep you all updated.I dont think the RSPCA will help at all:cry:

Take a large blanket. If you can get close enough to throw the blanket over the rabbit this usually gives you enough time to scoop them up before they know what's going on.

Obviously try bits of apple too, most rabbits love apple :)

Is the space too awkward to use a net?
I've used a fish landing net for capturing errant buns & cats.
Good luck :thumb:

Back