• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Furby (one of the Lymington buns)

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I took Furby to my vet this morning to register him and have him checked over and, if he was OK, his myxi vaccination done.

Poor Furby was absolutely terrified and the vet said his heart was beating very fast.

I have had a sense that something wasn't quite 'right' with Furby but couldn't place what it was. This morning when I came into the lounge he had his back to me and I was chatting away to him. He turned around, saw me, jumped and ran into his carrier. Sadly, Furby is deaf (the vet confirmed it). I reassure my animals by my voice so now am going to have to encourage Furby to get used to my strokes - at the moment he just freezes. I'm also worried about him being alone but he isn't ready to be bonded and my vet suggested I leave his neutering until I have built him up a bit and he is less stressed (which I agree with).

Furby also has mites and I have drops to put on once a week for three weeks. Apart from that he is in good condition (surprisingly) and the vet doesn't think he is two and a half but more like a year as his teeth are very white.

I am pleased he is healthy but sad he is deaf as it must be so isolating for him. He is such a scared bun too that I haven't been touching him that much, just talking to him, which obviously was useless:(

He was a very good boy at the vet though. He had his myxi jab but has such tough skin the vet had to use two needles.

He is starting to nom more which is huge relief and he does drink now I have given him a heavy bowl. I think my darling Furby is very much a 'work in progress'. I am glad he is so young as hopefully he will have many, many years of being a happy bun and being able to do bunny things, rather than just sitting in a tiny hutch alone. Being deaf too - it makes me feel so sad to think of his life before he was rescued.

I am sorry Furby is deaf. My Starbuck is deaf too. I still talk to him though!! :) I think the main thing is not to approach too quickly or from an angle where he cant see you, dont make sudden movements near him. I try to give Starbuck more tactile attention, or treats, as he is denied this particular sensory attention. I probably give him too many treats tho :oops: but he isnt fat.

As he is still quite new to you, I would suggest just spending time near him than necessarily stroking - I am sure you know this already. Spend lots of time at his level and let him explore you if he wants to or just get used to you being there. Over time he will get less scared and will get used to you and your smell and that you mean him no harm.

Is he a housebunny or outdoors? Starbuck is a housebunny. He is not bonded at the moment, he and Fay were a failed bond but he has our attention when we are at home.

He is such a lovely bun - I saw his picture on an earlier thread.:love::love: It is very unfortunate he is deaf, but good that he is with someone who will give him the best life possible.:)

Awww, poor Furby. At least he is now safe with a caring and understanding Mummy! Finding the best ways of communicating with him will probably make your bond even deeper. Hope his mites clear up soon xx

Oh bless him, must be stressful enough without being deaf too. He's such a little sweety, hope he starts to settle for you x

How did the vet know he was deaf? Im wondering how they determine this?

My house rabbits, who are laid back, will often do what he did with you this morning. They are off in their own world and do not hear me come in and jump and run, and they are not deaf.

Glad he is well otherwise.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/bunny-deaf-think.htm

Yes i was wondering this because when i had him in my kitchen in the carrier i was talking to him and he did seem to react to my voice? Maybe it was coincedence?

I don't think being deaf should make a whole lot of difference to him, other than you making sure you don't creep up on him etc which obviously you wouldn't do. i would still be talking to him to as he will get your vibes and energies anyway.
My old dog went deaf but it took me over a year to realise :oops:, then we adapted to hand signals etc but I never stopped talking to him.
You will find ways of adapting to having a deaf pet - makes you think more carefully about what you do with them and how, and thats never a bad thing.
good luck, and enjoy this special boy :love:

Hector is deaf or very nearly deaf, and doesn't react to sound at all. Luckily he is a fairly chilled out bunny though so I actually don't think it really bothers him too much (and can be an advantage - he isn't bothered at all by bonfire night for example, just carries on binkying completely oblivious!).

We just try to make sure he can see us approaching so that we don't startle him. And he loves noserubs so have bonded with him that way rather than talking (though i talk to him anyway!).

I think it has helped him being bonded to Luna (who has great hearing but not the best sight!) as she comes running when she hears us (particularly if we are shaking pellets!) and he sees her running and comes running too!

So hopefully Furby will cope fine with his deafness once he has had a chance to settle in and get used to his lovely new home!

I guess to be accurate the vet said he was almost sure Furby was deaf.

I have noticed ever since he came home with me that he hasn't responded to my voice at all and seems shocked to see me, although I have been talking to him.

The vet clapped his hands behind Furby and he didnt react at all - nothing. My other buns would have looked around or jumped.

It's possible Furby isn't deaf but from the way he has been with me, I think he is. Maybe he can hear certain tones or something. I am sure I will find out. I hope he can hear some things or he will be so isolated - poor darling.

I don't know how to put photos on the PC from my camera so can never add photos unless someone else does it for me.

Furby's ears are fine - I had already checked them. The mites are on his body.

Thank you all for your support and interest in my little man. I am so relieved that he is otherwise 'in good nick' as my vet so eloquently put it:)

He is definitely starting to enjoy his noms, so that is a step in the right direction.

oh bless him....het someone to put those pics on for us to oogle and drool over - he sounds adorable!:love:
Are you his forever home?:love:
It may help when he is settled to be about other buns who can show someone is coming...bless him....must be ever so lonely being in a hutch by yourself in that condition...:cry:

so glad he is with you:love:

Yes, I am his forever home:love: I picked him up from New Milton (and got to meet Lara and her gorgeous four, which was a bonus:)), so Furby didn't have to go to a rescue first.

I have always intended to bond Furby but it's a balancing act. He has only just started nomming properly and I don't want to stress him and him stop eating again. I trust my vet and he has suggested leaving Furby for a while before having him neutered - I think he was shocked at just how fast Furby's heart was.

The hutch and run Furby will move into are in my back yard and I come and go all day and night (have three jobs) so he will see lots of me. He will also have the cats to watch (I have eight). I'll spend some time with him getting him used to me as I am now.

He can't stay indoors unless I bond him with my indoor pair and I don't really have room in my kitchen for three buns. I was hoping Furby would be Peggy's husbun when Sue goes to The Bridge (which hopefully won't be for a long time). I have another group of three and Furby could be bonded with them too. Or - I could rehome another bun - maybe another special needs bun - and bond her with Furby. The hutch/run I have bought from Lara is a good size:)

There are lots of options but I won't rush into anything. Furby needs some stability now and a routine - and lots and lots of TLC.

I guess to be accurate the vet said he was almost sure Furby was deaf.

I have noticed ever since he came home with me that he hasn't responded to my voice at all and seems shocked to see me, although I have been talking to him.

The vet clapped his hands behind Furby and he didnt react at all - nothing. My other buns would have looked around or jumped.

It's possible Furby isn't deaf but from the way he has been with me, I think he is. Maybe he can hear certain tones or something. I am sure I will find out. I hope he can hear some things or he will be so isolated - poor darling.

I don't know how to put photos on the PC from my camera so can never add photos unless someone else does it for me.

Furby's ears are fine - I had already checked them. The mites are on his body.

Thank you all for your support and interest in my little man. I am so relieved that he is otherwise 'in good nick' as my vet so eloquently put it:)

He is definitely starting to enjoy his noms, so that is a step in the right direction.

Have you got a lead to go from your computer to your camera? If you can email the pics to me i can put them up on here for you or talk you through how! :wave:

No lead Lara :(

I probably did have one once but the camera is an old one and I haven't a clue what I did with it.

Hopefully, one of my friends will take some photos for me and then e-mail them to me. I still don't know how to put them on here but I could e-mail them to you.

Moved Furby's hutch and run today as they had just been more or less dumped in my back yard as I was over the four hours hire time for the van. I had to wait for a friend to come and help me but it is in situ now, all screwed together and looks lovely. My back yard is much smaller than your garden, Lara, so the hutch/run seems to have grown!!!

Another friend has an offcut of new carpet she doesn't want which will be big enough to put in the hutch and I am picking that up on Tuesday. I think Furby will like having some carpet to lie on. He is doing much better with using his litter tray so deserves some nice, soft carpet.

A friend came to meet him today and Furby did tolerate a stroke. I think there is a part of him that really, really wants to be friends - but another part that is very wary.

Those of you who also have Lymington buns - are yours scared and nervous?

Thank you for offering to help, Lara. Once I have some photos I will e-mail them to you. Thank you lots. x

:wave: Rhianna, would you like me to put a pic of Furby up? I've seen a photo of him elsewhere ;) and can easily do it through my Photobucket account.

I'm so sorry to hear that he may be deaf. I'm so glad he's with you though - he is a lucky bun and will have a great life with you as his bunny mum. :)

Back