• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Allergies

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi,

I think one of my buns may be allergic to hay. Is there a test that the vets can do, or is it a case of eliminating as much dust as poss and seeing how she goes?

I currently use megazorb and straw in litter trays - should I just have newspaper as presume both the megazorb and straw are dusty to buns?

I know of the DFH website, but is there anywhere else that do good but not mega expensive dust free hay?

Any replies from people in similar situation greatly appreciated!! :D

Hi,

My guinea pig, Walnut, is allergic to hay and I'm also looking for answers... It's confusing because I know she needs it in her diet but keeps sneezing and her nose runs a lot when she is around it. :( I wish I had some answers for you. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, Lily doesn't seem to be sneezing or have a runny nose - just her one eye that's been affected.$

Does it only been one eye still point to a possible allergy, or would an allergy affect both eyes?

Hi,

I think one of my buns may be allergic to hay. Is there a test that the vets can do, or is it a case of eliminating as much dust as poss and seeing how she goes?

I currently use megazorb and straw in litter trays - should I just have newspaper as presume both the megazorb and straw are dusty to buns?

I know of the DFH website, but is there anywhere else that do good but not mega expensive dust free hay?

Any replies from people in similar situation greatly appreciated!! :D

If you buy from the DFH website in bulk it really isn't too expensive - i normally get 10 bags for £40 which works out at £4 per bag which is the same price that my local pet shop sells really poor quality hay for. If you get the plastic bags of DFH its cheaper still at £3 per bag when you order 10.

Hi Lynn, Lily doesn't seem to be sneezing or have a runny nose - just her one eye that's been affected.$

Does it only been one eye still point to a possible allergy, or would an allergy affect both eyes?

I would say that sounds most unlike allergy - with an allergy you'd expect symptoms on both sides. It sounds much more like a blocked and/or infected tear duct on that side...possibly due to tooth root overgrowth.

You could get a nasal flush done and the contents sent off for cytology/culture & sensitivity. This would give you a better idea of whether there is inflammation, infection and/or allergic tissue in there.

Thanks Katie2000 & Santa for replying (and Lynn of course from before).

54 views and 1 reply up till today.

REally get fed up sometimes :cry:

I would say that sounds most unlike allergy - with an allergy you'd expect symptoms on both sides. It sounds much more like a blocked and/or infected tear duct on that side...possibly due to tooth root overgrowth.

This is exactly what happened to my first ever bunny. Straw can sometimes be a bit dusty tho so maybe remove that from litter tray.

Thanks Katie2000 & Santa for replying (and Lynn of course from before).

54 views and 1 reply up till today.

REally get fed up sometimes :cry:

I count three replies. I've opened this thread a couple of times assuming the owner had hay allergies not the bunny and was going to offer some help but I didn't know anything that could help bunny. I can help with owner hay allergies cos I have them myself.

I agree with Santa, sounds more like a tear duct issue maybe from what i've read, maybe caused by dental issues?

Thats just from read experience however, im no pro.

Salt was a little prone to snuffles (not quite the same I know, but the advice may be similar). He is housed outside where there is constant fresh air, litter trays have wooden cat litter pellets and we use dust free hay.
His symptoms have completely disappeared.
I find the dust free not too bad. The buns adore it, and I buy 10 sacks at a time. Because they love it, not much is wasted.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Hi since it's only one eye I would also say it doesn't sound like allergies. I'm sorry about the lack of replies I think ppl don't have answers so they don't post. I get frustrated sometimes too. Take care.
Lynn

Back