• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Noisy gut sounds

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering when noisy gut sounds become a worry?

Mischa's tum has been gurgling this morning. He's settled and is eating and quite content but isn't liking me rubbing his tummy. It's actually lessened a bit now but it set my mind wondering when do sounds like that become an indication of tummy problems?

I was just wondering when noisy gut sounds become a worry?

Mischa's tum has been gurgling this morning. He's settled and is eating and quite content but isn't liking me rubbing his tummy. It's actually lessened a bit now but it set my mind wondering when do sounds like that become an indication of tummy problems?

This tenderness, along with the noisy sounds would tell me it was gas.

If the sounds are audible enough and you are not in a quiet room right next to your bunny on the floor - then they are loud gut sounds and should be a warning sign.

I would encourage Mischa to hop around and eat some food, I would also rub the 'tender' spot gently on his tummy to dispel any gas. Some infacol wouldn't hurt either. :)

i was intrested in the infacol my bun has gassy bellys he is going to the vets saturday again iv never thought of giving infacol im guessing its safe for buns? how much would you give them baring in mind i have a dwarf =]

i was intrested in the infacol my bun has gassy bellys he is going to the vets saturday again iv never thought of giving infacol im guessing its safe for buns? how much would you give them baring in mind i have a dwarf =]

Infacol is simeticone and can be useful for build ups of gas bubbles, in that it helps bun to pass them along and out by making the gas responsive to peristaltic movements (forms small bubbles into large ones). Simeticone is largely an inert chemical and therefore relatively safe to use. Dosage is usually 1ml for any sized rabbit as often as needed (usually every couple of hours, but may be more frequent in a rabbit who is bloated under vet advice).

ETA Please note (before i get jumped on!) that any rabbit showing signs of gas or bloat should be examined by a rabbit-savy vet to prevent deterioration as quickly as possible.

This tenderness, along with the noisy sounds would tell me it was gas.

If the sounds are audible enough and you are not in a quiet room right next to your bunny on the floor - then they are loud gut sounds and should be a warning sign.

I would encourage Mischa to hop around and eat some food, I would also rub the 'tender' spot gently on his tummy to dispel any gas. Some infacol wouldn't hurt either. :)

Thank you PL. Could that be from him getting excited when hand feeding pellets last night? He's in a quiet room. I was trying to have a small nap. Am not right next to him though.

Will try those things and get Mum to get some Infacol.

Just popped back in there and he's back in the box eating hay. Will keep popping in and out. I think I'll stop hand-feeding them in the evenings. They get super excited so maybe they are ingesting a lot of air.

Just popped back in there and he's back in the box eating hay. Will keep popping in and out. I think I'll stop hand-feeding them in the evenings. They get super excited so maybe they are ingesting a lot of air.

Oh :( I think maybe we should stop hand feeding Biscuit a little then, i give him 6 or so pellets by hand then the rest in his bowl - i guess it could cause air ingestion.

Well the other thing is that he is really badly moulting right now but his poos seem fine so I'm less inclined to think it could be that.

I've let them have free-range on the landing (which Nutmeg isn't happy about - cue poos all along the babygate despite me covering it with a towel) and I gave him another tummy rub. He's definitely not happy with me touching it and toothgrinded when I rubbed and stopped when I stopped. But I gave him a good couple of minutes of that and then tried to chase him a bit but he decided to go eat hay instead. He's had a wash and explore on the landing. Given him another tummy rub which didn't result in toothgrinding and the gurgles sound a little bit less ferocious.

thank you for the advice :) he is seeing the vet tomo anyway i will discuss it with her it would be handy to have some aside so when i know he is getting gassy i could give him some but i wont give him it till i see her tomo =] p.s he is back to normal today he would be stright down the vets today if he was still gassy =]

I would take him to the vet but I've been up since 2pm yesterday and I don't think I can safely drive. I'm going to see how it goes. If he starts refusing food I'll ring Dad up and get him to come home and take us. Mum's just popped back with the Infacol. She's out all day so can't take me either. 1ml is that right?

Well the other thing is that he is really badly moulting right now but his poos seem fine so I'm less inclined to think it could be that.

I was surprised to learn how stressful moulting is for a bun, & that it can cause mild gut slow down in it's own right.
I agree totally with pretty lupin.
I'd keep him well hydrated, reduce any dandelion or other diuretic plants, cut back on sugars/starch a bit, & add hawthorn leaves to his hay diet.
As always make the changes very gradually.

Hi thumps,

He hasn't had any dandelion for quite a while. He hasn't had any parsley for the past few days either. I might print out a picture and try to find some hawthorn.

The gurgling almost stopped and I could only hear it if I was sitting right with himl. His tummy also started to feel more pliable, he was allowing my to rub it, and he was munching away on hay so I had my snooze :oops:

It's feeling a lot better now. He didn't take any of the Infacol in the end as he hated it. I think it was the smell. I would've forced him to have it but everything was starting to lessen so I didn't see the point stressing him.

I hope it was the handfed pellets. Otherwise I'm going to have to work out if it's any of the greens he had. The only food he had this morning was pellets and hay so I'm assuming it must be something last night that set it off.

He was gassy again last night after greens so now I'm suspecting it's the spring greens. I'm going to cut these out for a few days and just give them herb plants. Just kept rubbing his tum last night, encouraging him into the hay and even managed to get a tiny bit of Infacol into him and it settled. Wasn't as bad as it was yesterday morning.

He was gassy again last night after greens so now I'm suspecting it's the spring greens. I'm going to cut these out for a few days and just give them herb plants. Just kept rubbing his tum last night, encouraging him into the hay and even managed to get a tiny bit of Infacol into him and it settled. Wasn't as bad as it was yesterday morning.

It does sound like he may not be able to tolerate the spring greens. Moulting as thumps says can cause ileus in isolation so keeping his hydration up is important, I would just try alternative greens to the brassica family (cabbages/brocoli/spring greens) as they are renound for producing gas in all mammals! ;)

Funny thing about infacol is that Nino used to love it, but when he was repeatedly ill with bloat he came to associate infacol with pain as it was when he was in acute pain he would be given it, and he now refuses to touch it. You may find if needed Dill Seed Oil (about £2 from any chemist) is more palatable to bun, it works in a similar way but I personally find it less effective.
Sounds like you managed to shift his gas with tummy rubs - well done. As long as he's eating and keeps doing so his peristaltic movements should also push the gas along and out. :)

It's the orange in it that he doesn't like, he's never liked the smell of orange. I'll try and get some of that oil. I'm definitely going to stick with herbs and dried stuff and stuff from the garden for now. Picked him some lemon balm yesterday which he ate some of. The rest they polished off overnight. I did have a dill plant but it's dead now. I figured lemon balm is very soothing in general so might help. He's great with eating, he always eats and loves hay, he even ate when he had bad head tilt as long as I helped him. It's just reminding him that it's there and to eat that instead of worrying about grooming himself. :roll::lol:

On that note, I brushed him today and get a HUGE amount of fur off him. Hopefully it's the combination of moult and greens which is doing it.

I'm convinced it's the spring greens now. Didn't give the lops any and their tums feel perfect. Lovely and pliable. Nutmeg's on the other hand, feels gassy but there are no noisy sounds until I rub her tum. Smudge seems ok. They had some spring green, some basil (which all went - but the lops had some of that too and are fine so can't be that) and some cauli leaves. They didn't eat much before I found them both hiding under the chair. I've taken away what they'd left, which was quite a bit, and given them some mint which I know is good for digestive troubles, in humans at least. They've both decided to favour the fresh hay I've put in instead.

I've seen a sign for so-and-so herbs nearby so I'm going to go there on Monday and see if they'll sell me enough for a few days in bulk or something. Worth asking. Otherwise it's three or four small plants of herbs per day for all four at 76p each. Adds up to quite a bit over a week. I'm willing to pay that obviously but if I can get some cheaper that'd be great!

Back