• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on kit! HELP PLEASE!

emilybun

Warren Scout
ok so quick recap for people how didnt read previous post...
i came home yesterday to find that Cinnabun had given birth :shock:
the kit looked nice and plump but it was in the middle of the hutch and cinnabun was ignoring it. i put it back in the nest box after scenting my hands and made sure mum was comfy.

i couldnt sleep half the night because i was worrying that she wasnt nursing it! got up at 6 to check on them both and the kit was wriggling around (is that a sign of looking for mum for milk?) but still in same place i left it last night.

I think im probably being paranoid but it looks like she hasnt been near it all night! i gave her lots of fresh veggies this morning because i heard that if mum is fed well there is more chance of the kit being fed.

Just in case it becomes apparent she isnt nursing has anyone got any tips to help her start?

Mums only go into nurse their kit once a day. In the mornings just see if the baby has a bloated belly [ sign of being feed].

:wave: hi if the kits tum is nice and round then try not to worry, as said before the mum only feeds once a day and does not sit with the kits like a cat or dog would, she just pops in the nest every so often to check their ok. make sure the kit is warm ie. in a nest of hay etc.. thay do wriggle around so try not to worry i know its hard i did'nt sleep for weeks when mine were small, also try not to keep looking i was told to just let the mum get on with it. good luck.

Last edited:
Back