• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxo's Diary. End of meds.

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
The vet thinks Oxo has Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) as he has lost some mobility in his back legs. He has been checked for injuries but nothing was found and he didn't indicate any pain in his legs or spine so chances are it is ecunicoli.

He is now on medication. Panacure and Metacam. He is being very brave and would like to share his experience with other bunnies by writing a diary.

The day before day 1

Oxo: When the Mummy came to give me and Lavender our supper she noticed I wasn't using one of my back legs. I tried to use it but it just wouldn't work, this was very frustrating as it affected my jumpings but I scoffed all my supper anyway and then went to bed.

Day 1 When the Mummy came to give me and Lavender our breakfast she had a big shock as both my back legs were not working properly. It is a good job I have strong front legs I needed them to drag myself over to the food bowl for breakfast. About an hour later I was in the car and ended up at the vets. The vet did a lot of poking around and looked at my bum. I was a model bunny and mummy was proud of me. I was very brave and did not flinch even when the vet stuck a spear in the back of my neck. I did however put up a fight when he tried to choke me and squirt poison down my throat. I must be immune to the poison as I am still alive. When I got back to Rabsville I told Lavender all about it.

Day 2

Things are much the same today, my back legs are still not working very well and I don't feel like eating as much. The Mummy explained that she was going to give me my 'meds' and that I was to be a good boy and not stress, struggle or bite. I said I would try my best. I lay on my back on the Mummy's knee, she stroked my head and told me I was alright. Then she put a syringe of Metacam in my mouth. I really liked it and tried to suck more out but it was all gone very quickly, she then gave me another syringe this time with Panacure in, I was hoping it was going to taste as nice as the Metacam, it didn't but it was OK. I then went in the run while Lavender had her Panacure, Lavender doesn't have the Metacam because her legs are working OK, I am gald about that, it means more Metacam for me. Lavender said it was my fault that she has to have medicine and she gave me a good humping to get her own back.
I didn't eat much supper just a few pellets and some hay, I let Lavender have the Shaw's egg biscuit, the dandelion leaves and the peanuts in shells.
I hope my legs are working tomorrow... I am looking forward to having my Metacam again.

Last edited:
I actually read that and thought i wonder if thats what they are thinking... your amazing at writing...

Hope Oxo makes a speedy recovery xxx

D&Ds mummy: Oh Oxo you poor boy! You are being very brave and taking your medicine like a good boy! Hopefully your legs might come back to life soon! Even if they don't I knew another little bunny who had E. cuniculi and the same thing happened to her back legs and she got on just fine using her front legs!

Dudley: we thinks you is very brave Oxo it must be very scary! We will be readings your diary and hopes you is hopping soon!

Daisy: Lavender now is not the time for humpings you must help Oxo with snuggles and groomings!

Oh oxo you are super brave. I just want to tell u a little story about my bam bam who indeed dragged her back legs and had a slight Head tilt. When she was first diagnosed the vets weren't great and I then reviewed everything. In herself she first went thru a little depression so u might go thru this not eating as much, getting frustrated as you can't jump up the way u used to but let me tell u after two months my bam bam was a rocket across the garden beating thumper everytime for a treat. She managed to do the most amazing things and was the sportiest bunny around. Animals could hear her cry "tally hooooo". So although the legs aren't always working the spirit will get u thru and your mummy will always be there when u need a little reassurance or when u have an off day. The good news is bambam conditions got better she was permanently on panacur...... And continued like that for 3 years, she went to rainbow bridge due to her abscess and nothing to do with her special condition. I even gave her a blue badge so she had special parking on the sofa when she ventured in. Here's to ur recovery and looking forward to hearing your exploits xxxxxx

I wish Pickle was as good with his meds as you are Oxo. You're a very good boy! I hope the medicines make you feel more like your usual self soon and start eating a bit more. If you leave all the treats to Lavender she might start getting a bit chubby!:D

Day 3 the day after yesterday
I think my legs are working a bit better today and I also have more of an appetite. I had my meds like a good boy again then spent some time in the run with Lavender. The Mummy said having some run time will stop me from getting depressed, I think she might be right. The Mummy puts me back in the playhouse first so that I get first choice of the food. Tonight I had a few oats in warm water 2 peanuts out of a shell, some hay and some pellets. My brother Pippin hops over from his shed to say hello before he has his supper too. Pippin is worried that because he is my twin he might develop the gammy leg condition too, he said he already gets humped to an inche of his life by his wifeybun Blossom the last thing he needs is gammy legs as he'd never get away from her. I have told him not to worry.

Glad you're feeling a bit better Oxo. :) Can we see pictures of you (if you feel up to it and Mummy has time in between looking after you all)? :wave:

Oxo it sounds like you are being a very good and brave bunny and that your mummy is going a fantastic job of looking after you. You are very lucky to have her and I hope your legs are better soon

Day 4

Rabswood:
Oxo would not write his day four diary, he was having a strop which is a sign he must be feeling a bit better.

His legs are working better and he has been jumping in and out of the cat flap in the playhouse which he hasn't done since he first started with EC.

He took his meds as usual and went in the run with Lavender. When I carried him back to the playhouse he tried to bite the collar off my coat. You do have to watch Oxo as he doesn't like being picked up or carried and wil try to get a litle nip in occassionally. I am takng attacking my collar as a sign he is on the mend :lol:

That sounds like a good report to me. ;) I have a bunny who HATES being picked up. He shakes his paws in disgust and begins a thorough washing ceremony when he is set down again. :roll::roll: That said, he does like attention. It sounds like Oxo is another bunny who likes all four paws on the ground. How is eating doing? :wave:

That's fab news :D Seems like there's been quite a bit of improvement in a short space of time! Really hope he makes a full recovery!

Back