• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Hutch Floor

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I was thinking today as I was cleaning Velvet's hutch. Why do I bother buying and changing the megazorb. Since she is incrediably clean and tidy and never wees/poos in the megazorb. It's literally always tidy and clean.

I feel like I'm always wasting the megazorb as it still looks fresh and new when I fill it up in the rubbish bag :?

So I thought - why don't I change the bedding/lining - but what?!

Here are some of my suggestions but not sure if they are worth considering

A) Buy Vet bed and lay it out on the hutch and change it & wash it when needed. Saves money in the long term, keeps her warm and it'l be comfortable for her feet. But - what about when it rains - any leaks from water? Obviosuly I'd cover the hutch overnight throughout colder months but during the day it won't be possible if I'm at work or out. Also won't be easy to get Hay out - and not good for wasing machines.

B) Apply lino all over the hutch - again cheap and easy to clean. BUT isn't it slippery for rabbits? What about when it rains/leaks? Won't she be cold/uncomfotable?

C) Just Hay and Newspaper all over the hutch - not sure if this is sensible either?!

I like the idea of putting Vet Bed down. But I don't think I've seen or heard anyone do that with their outdoor hutches only in sheds/ c & c. Also it would be mega tidy - especially when cleaning the hutch - which means would keep the garden tidy as we're in a rented property and we're moving soon.

But I dunno - so I bet the RU will have answers for me!

Thank-you :D

P.s I am also thinking the same for my Guinea-Pig's hutch but not sure yet.

My hutch, playhouse and shed all have lino with blankets dotted about for snuggling in and sitting on. I find on hot days, they'll lie on the lino as it feels cooler than the blankets. On colder days they'll sit on the blankets. The weather isn't really an issue for the shed and playhouse but I do find I have problems with the hutch when it rains. Water just sits on the surface of the lino and the blankets soak it up. :roll: I think the only soloution to that is to get some decent plastic sheeting or a tarpaulin and cover the hutch if it's likely to rain. Megazorb would soak up rain water too but that would have to go in the bin rather than the washing machine so for that reason alone, I'd recommend fleecey blankets or of course, vet bed. :wave:

My indoor setup is lino with blankets or towels. Will be doing the same in the shed in the new year. Mine get on fine with the lino, you just have to make sure it's the textured stuff.

Can't you have litter trays with megazorb and hay, lino on the whole floor and then soft stuff in one area?

Mine do the same as Goergie, if they're warm they'll sit on the lino, if cool on the soft stuff.

Back