• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can indoor rabbits go outside in winter?

weedug

Mama Doe
Or are they best not to go out into a run for the day?

They both have arthritis, so assume that the cold air would make that worse as well since it makes mine worse?

I am doing the opposite :D

Bringing my outdoor rabbit indoors during the winter months as it will be very cold for him outside.

Hopefully he'll be alright :p

Or are they best not to go out into a run for the day?

They both have arthritis, so assume that the cold air would make that worse as well since it makes mine worse?

The change in temperature would not be very good for them at all - hot to cold to hot to cold etc :) If they are both arthritic bunnies also, i really wouldnt try it, personally.

Thought that would be the case. Poor little souls will miss their outings.

Still, can't tell OH they need to stay in the house because of their arthritis if I keep putting them out in the day :lol:

I think it's too late and too cold at night now.

I'm in a similar situation (but one of mine has breathing problems instead of arthritis) and it was either get a shed put up REALLY, REALLY quickly or wait until next year which is what we're doing as there is no rush.

Once my old Fred developed arthritis damp would cause flare ups and pain so I simply kept in indoors in a constant tempreture. He had the run of the lounge and lots of lovely grub and toys. He used to curl up in front of the gasfire with his back towards the cold winter weather.
Teasel goes outside on good days and has to be dragged in on wet/damp ones. I work on the theory if she goes I her hutch to sulk she would like to come in now- thank you. She has not joint problems as yet [8 yrs]

You can grow grass in trays if your worried your buns may be missing out but the important thing is they have space to be buns indoors or out.

Looks like I have 3 full time house buns for the winter :D. They're both still going outside just now, but will stop when it gets colder/damper.

I've had a house bun for the past 5 years, so know how much fun it is to have them inside :love:

Don't know why Honey seems to have arthritis just now as she is only about 3 :(.

Back